You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Embedded Document Auto-Save

Hello!

I'm moving from PS to Affinity Photo and I think the embedded document and PSD smart object imports are working great but I noticed, when you are making changes to the embedded document it auto-saves on the fly. Can I disable this feature and make it wait for me to save the document before changing the main file like the PSD smart objects do? I mean, it's great feature, I like it but it draws a lot of my computing power and I would like to turn it off.

Take a look if you don't understand what I'm talking about. First I'm showing how affinity and how PS works. 

Just curious I suppose but what makes you think it takes a lot of computing power to update the parent document? In your video it looks like it updates very quickly, suggesting that does not tax your system.

Besides, if it did not update anything until the parent document was saved, wouldn't you have to constantly refer to the "<Embedded>" document view to know what state the parent document was in?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 hours ago, R C-R said:

Just curious I suppose but what makes you think it takes a lot of computing power to update the parent document? In your video it looks like it updates very quickly, suggesting that does not tax your system.

It does affect my system and it spikes the temps of my CPU which is annoying because fans spinning faster. But that's not a big deal.

7 hours ago, R C-R said:

Besides, if it did not update anything until the parent document was saved, wouldn't you have to constantly refer to the "<Embedded>" document view to know what state the parent document was in?

No, because I work with the panels side by side. Also, not all changes need to be displayed when the smart object is a work in progress. It must be optional. 

Can someone from affinity staff answer me if this an option or not? 

7 hours ago, R C-R said:

Besides, if it did not update anything until the parent document was saved

I think you don't get it. You don't save the parent file. You work on the embedded and when you save it, it updates the parent file. Not the other way around. This is how Photoshop works. 

3 hours ago, EvGa said:

I think you don't get it. You don't save the parent file. You work on the embedded and when you save it, it updates the parent file. Not the other way around. This is how Photoshop works. 

I for sure don't get it. As I understand it, if the document is embedded, it is not a separate file (like it would be if it was linked). It is simply a part of the document.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

I for sure don't get it. As I understand it, if the document is embedded, it is not a separate file (like it would be if it was linked). It is simply a part of the document.

No no, you confused with "embedded" and "linked" images. That's completely two different things. Embedded file means it's a sub file inside a parent file which you can distort the perspective of it and place it to mockups. So when you need to change the label of the mockup, you have to open the embedded file, which again is a different file inside the parent file, edit it and then it updates the mockup image. 

Affinity call this "Embedded file" and Photoshop "Smart object layer" which is the same thing. 

3 minutes ago, EvGa said:

Embedded file means it's a sub file inside a parent file which you can distort the perspective of it and place it to mockups.

It is an embedded document, not a separate file.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, EvGa said:

Embedded file means it's a sub file inside a parent file which you can distort the perspective of it and place it to mockups.

Please refer to the Affinity Photo Help on Embedding documents, where (in the section on editing an embedded document) you will see this:

Changes are saved within the main document without affecting the original.

In other words, it’s exactly as @R C-R has stated: the embedded document is a complete copy, not merely a link to the original document.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

Please refer to the Affinity Photo Help on Embedding documents, where (in the section on editing an embedded document) you will see this:

In other words, it’s exactly as @R C-R has stated: the embedded document is a complete copy, not merely a link to the original document.

@EvGa said "embedded" but used the word "file" instead of "document". @EvGa also made clear that he/she understands the difference between embedding and linking.

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

Unfortunately they don't mention anything about auto saving. 

So, my original question is, how to stop embedded document from making changes to the parent document. 

Please don't post irrelevant answers. 

6 hours ago, EvGa said:

So, my original question is, how to stop embedded document from making changes to the parent document. 

Two suggestions you can try.

The second one "should" work to reduce your performance issues - not sure the first one will but worth a try as it's easier/safer.

1. In the parent document switch off the embedded document's visibility in the Layers panel. You will not see any changes in the parent document as you modify the embedded one but I don't know if this will reduce the performance problems you are encountering as I can't test with your configuration. (Switch the layer's visibility back on once finished with the embedded document).

2. Open the embedded document, then in the parent document, delete the embedded document layer. Now edit the embedded document as required and when ready to see the changes in the parent document go back to the parent document and use Edit > Undo to restore the previously deleted embedded document.  The embedded document will now reappear with all the changes you have made to it.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

9 hours ago, EvGa said:

While it can be opened in a separate window or tab, the embedded document is still an inherent part of the parent document. It does not exist elsewhere (as it would if it was a linked document) so if you make changes to it those changes must also be part of the parent document.

IOW, it does not matter where you make changes to it, it is still just one document.

Affinity Photo