You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Curve Tool is lagging

Pasta21

Hello! I have experienced some wierd laggy behaviour with the curve tool lately, both in 1.9.0 and 1.9.1 and maybe even versions before that too..

Whenever I move a node close to the middle as shown below it snaps to a random location near the center and dont update its position (even if I hold it still for quite some time.. so its not lagging because of performance?) when I move the mouse while it has got stuck you can see it jump to a diffrent location and become responsive again.. It's hard to see on this video but I can move the mouse freely in kind of a "deadzone" .. this is a newly opened document (1920x1080px) with nothing but a pixel layer added and the curves tool.. when editing RAW and using the curve in the devolop persona it is more exagerated and also the more stuff in my project the slower and slower everything gets.. including a worse laggier curve tool.. 

I have read a little on how to fix affinity beeing slow and encountered the solution with the reset menu (holding down ctrl while starting affinity) I actually reset everything and the curve tool bug I'm encountering is still there. It did fix some other of the slowness problems, but eventually it became slow again with say 4-5 adjustments some with and some without masks. takes awhile to update the whole image enabeling disabling the adjustments/tweaking them..  

can it be my AMD system beeing a problem here?

I have a quite powerfull pc (if I may say so myself ;) ) 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600

GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RX 580 8GB (AMD)

RAM: 16GB

windows 10 (20H2)

!!! note, I have tried with and without hardware acceleration! still same deal! :( 

I can upload a real project and show the more exagerated lag if wanted/needed!

thanks in advance! :D  

• Staff

Hey Pasta21,

I can reproduce this to a degree but it isn't as agressive on my machine as it is yours. It looks like it happens when the Navigator Panel updates its preview - which isn't as 'live' as the main canvas preview. Can you try hiding the Navigator Panel and see if it still 'snaps'.

16 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Hey Pasta21,

I can reproduce this to a degree but it isn't as agressive on my machine as it is yours. It looks like it happens when the Navigator Panel updates its preview - which isn't as 'live' as the main canvas preview. Can you try hiding the Navigator Panel and see if it still 'snaps'.

I just tried this and it seems like it did make it better, but sometimes it still snaps like that

it seemed like its smoother in a way when changing the curve a bit faster, but when I went slower with the handle moving around more precisely it was still very exagerated :( tried both on new canvas and the same project as above 

very odd, maybe it has to do with AMD? it just isnt as "compatible" with these lovely programs :( 

I have a similar issue on my machine, the behaviour is horrible! When I open a RAW picture and try to change the curve values, there's absolutely no change at all visible. When I try the same on a JPG picture, the same happens, although I might have to wait probably more than 2 minutes (once I was playing around a bit more without any effects), and then something happened to the picture. But the whole system is so awful slow!! This was not the case at all with 1.8.x version, also when I try the same with e.g. DXO Photolab, I don't have any issues or slow effects.

Any Information one might need to help me with this?

KR
TiRohn

15 minutes ago, TiRohn said:

I have a similar issue on my machine, the behaviour is horrible! When I open a RAW picture and try to change the curve values, there's absolutely no change at all visible. When I try the same on a JPG picture, the same happens, although I might have to wait probably more than 2 minutes (once I was playing around a bit more without any effects), and then something happened to the picture. But the whole system is so awful slow!! This was not the case at all with 1.8.x version, also when I try the same with e.g. DXO Photolab, I don't have any issues or slow effects.

Any Information one might need to help me with this?

KR
TiRohn

I was experiencing slow update to the images and all that as well and it helped to reset a few things within affinity by holding down Ctrl when starting the program, a popup window shows up and you get a lot of options, there is a thread with information about all the options in that menu here:

have you tried this? What are your computer specs? Have you enabled hardware acceleration? Maybe it is messing with you after 1.9? Just food for thought here..

To be clear this is what I tried at first to get rid of the laggy curve but it seems to be a seperate issue, but my other issues got resolved after that fix

1 hour ago, Pasta21 said:

I was experiencing slow update to the images and all that as well and it helped to reset a few things within affinity by holding down Ctrl when starting the program, a popup window shows up and you get a lot of options, there is a thread with information about all the options in that menu here:

have you tried this? What are your computer specs? Have you enabled hardware acceleration? Maybe it is messing with you after 1.9? Just food for thought here..

To be clear this is what I tried at first to get rid of the laggy curve but it seems to be a seperate issue, but my other issues got resolved after that fix

I tried to start with CTRL holding down, deleted the default settings that were ticked but still the same result. I have HW acceleration enabled. My machine specs are:

• Windows 10 Pro (Build 19042), latest updates
  • Alienware 15R3
  • Alienware AW3420DW on DisplayPort
  • Intel CPU i7-7700HQ@2.8GHz
  • 32GB RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX1070 and Intel HD Graphics 630

Since this worked so far, and also I don't have this issue when using another application, I strongly believe this has something to do with Affinity Photo App... Any other hints??

• Staff

We will likely be releasing 1.9.2 betas soon so I'd keep downloading them to see what OpenCL improvements come. For now though, keep OpenCL disabled in retail - you won't lose anything (same performance as 1.8.5), you just aren't currently gaining the speed improvements that it can offer.

26 minutes ago, Chris B said:

We will likely be releasing 1.9.2 betas soon so I'd keep downloading them to see what OpenCL improvements come. For now though, keep OpenCL disabled in retail - you won't lose anything (same performance as 1.8.5), you just aren't currently gaining the speed improvements that it can offer.

@Chris B, alright, thank you, will keep an eye on that feature... :)