You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Auto-deselect option in settings

It would be soooooo awesome if we could just get a simple tool setting that allows users to toggle automatic deselecting on at least pencil paths. I always find myself doing endless clicks on the deselect “x” button when I’m coloring. My process is; I pick a color for my path, then draw a freehand path with the pencil tool, I’m done and I want to draw my next path so I select the next color, oops the path I’ve just drawn is now a different color, gesture undo, click deselect, click palette and select next color, draw the next path. If could have just been able to have the path not be selected when I finished I could work a lot faster and save the excessive deselects and undo gestures.

Designer still rock! Keep up the amazing work Affinity Team.😁

A ‘Select on create’ option would be nice, but in the meantime there’s no need to go all the way over to the ‘x’ button. If you long-press next to the curve you’ve just drawn, you’ll find a ‘Deselect’ option on the popup menu.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Awesome! Thanks for the tip, Alfred. I also find I get the same issue with layers. If you click on a layer all the contents become selected and if you unfortunately select a stroke or fill color or play with the stroke weight and you’re not paying attention, boom the contents of the layer are altered. It would be nice if you could select a layer, get your tool setup and then add to that layer. Not select a layer, deselect the content, setup the tool you want to use, then go at it.