You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Issues with NIK Color Efex Plugin in AP after upgrade to El Captain

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering If more people are facing issues with the NIK plugins within Affinity Photo after an upgrade to El Capitan.

It worked perfectly with Yosemite but after I upgraded the system to El Capitan it jams as soon as I open a NIK plugin like Color Efex.

I've already reinstalled the NIK collection

Reinstalled Affinity, but nothing seems to solve the issue.

Normally when the filter was applied a progress bar was shown, the layer was imported into Color Efex and after a few seconds I could start working.

After the upgrade the progress bar is not shown any more, only two screens on top of each other and nothing is happening.

I have to do a force quit on the mac while I cannot do anything any more with Affinity Photo.

Anyone any idea?

Screenshot attached

post-19173-0-19197800-1443996845_thumb.png

Hi

Thanks for posting on the forums :)

I have been testing this myself and it seems to be working ok for me, there are some long delays when loading the plugin but eventually it works.

Does this work for you in any other apps at all? Have you tried a different image with no additional layers?

Jack

Hi Jack, I've tried several images and all result in the same issue.

As a test I've created a new user account at my Mac and tried if it works (to check if it's system or user account related).

It works perfectly under the new user.

I think the issue is the result of some kind of cache or user preference file.

But I'm unable to find it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem with NIK as a plugin on all my processing apps. The suggestion from MEB did not work foe me.  

NIK its self works fine as a standalone app. It is something to do with the Mac upgrade.

There is no indication that Google are addressing this so they must not see this as their problem, so what next?.

It´s certainly not working as it should anymore (for all I remember, it was with release 1.3.4).

All seem totally unresponsive now;  also incredibly slow. I found that unresponsiveness is solved with moving the NIK window around a bit; obviously, to achieve this, I need to take it out of full screen first (can be put back again after doing that). The same is true for any dialog showing up (i.e. when using a recipee): move it around and I can confirm or cancel, not before doing that... I tried Silver Efex as well, same issues AFAIC. Same behaviour whether using MAS 1.3.5 or the latest 1.3.5.5 Beta.

What is puzzling me even more, is that pressing the CTRL key does not work for me anymore, no option to clear anything!  :wacko:

This is not an issue with El Capitan AFAICS. I quickly tried all of them with Photoshop CS6, even all stacked on each other, they still work as beautifully (and FAST!) as ever...  :P

Partial load is something I don´t see anywhere, but the initial blank screen after launching any NIK plug-in with AP is what I get too. However, the image will then show after some simple action. In my case, switching screens (like from Desktop 1 to Desktop 2, whatever...) is all it takes to see an image. I suspect other activities could trigger it as well, but didn´t (try to) find any. There is no response at that point to any click though, for that I need to perform the little trick told higher up: somehow move the ´active´ window a bit, repeat each time as required. This, for me, is an always working solution; alas, a rather cumbersome workaround. 

PSE, I had up to release 11, but I also bought CS6 at the same time, which was on 50% rebate at the time: I was just lacking confidence in myself at that point, to do everything with the full Photoshop right away. Truth be told, fact is that I never used PSE 11 and have trashed it a long time ago now, so I cannot tell anymore.

At some point, after the steep learning curve (for me!), I switched over to exclusively using Photoshop CS6 (and Bridge CS6), instead of full Aperture - including a short break with Lightroom at some point, due to lack of support from Apple for the X-Trans sensors, for over a year! I´ll never forget: Apple announced its bad intentions with Aperture in favour of Photos, just one week later. I couldn´t have anticipated better! Since then, I´m reprocessing all my RAWs backward, to completely empty my Aperture Library (since 2005). Still a very long way to go, but have done about almost four years now. Thankfully, I have never stored the original RAWs in the Library / Catalog, so I don´t have to panic either. I also have been using NIK with all of them, initially got the component suite for Aperture and Lightroom only though. Later updated individual components as becoming available, Photoshop was then included as well. Then Google took over, making it much simpler and a lot cheaper for everybody.

This afternoon, I downloaded the whole Google NIK suite and installed it again, to see if it would be a solution. It didn´t change a single thing: now after re-install everything is the same as it was this morning, before doing so. The same is true wth Aperture 3.6, but I just checked that to be sure, I´m not using it anymore anyway. I didn´t check with Lightroom 4.4 though, but suspect it will show the same. So to my eyes, having no issues with the tools officially meant to be used with NIK, my conclusion is that El Capitan has no part in it. I just wish it will be possible to integrate them all in AP at some time, fully functional of course, not just the four efex ones.

Thanks Jasper, I also found that if you click on anything outside the app that the screen and full functionality is restored. I will workaround with that otherwise. I still haven't figured how to get the plugins working in the latest Beta, but I will pass on that until a formal release is made, i have wasted too much energy.