You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector Line handles and how do I get them back at how they were

Hello,

is there some way to turn the move tool handles to move and rotate the lines back at how they were previous 1.9?

I’m a fashion designer and I make my patterns here. I used to create vertical straight vector lines with handles on top so I could set a fixed measurement and then move the origin and pivot it from there. Now I generate lines wit side handles that to me are worthless because  I must see were it touch with my reference lines precisely. Also I used to change the origin and it would increase or decrease a measurement starting from there now they only get modified referencing the center unless  I go to the panel and set a new origin on the square thingy there, very annoying since it take me out of my work flow every two minutes. I really hope this is fixable with some kind of setting adjustment. Cuz if not this is definitely a bye bye for me. 

Sorry @Estalfos, I can’t visualise what you’re describing. Can you upload an image, or images, to show us what you had before and what you get now?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

Hi @ProDesigner, I can show you pictures, but can’t show what I did before because I can’t do it anymore.  I will try to explain tho.3C5F397E-BA91-4D6F-8618-60A5DCCAD87E.thumb.jpeg.e05baf569a407953ece5ca4e53cb25a7.jpeg

in this picture the selected line is what I would pivot from the origin as shown but previously the handle would  be in the opposite point instead  of the middle. 021C3ED5-D794-4ECB-A8C9-BB2F0D4700E0.thumb.jpeg.0035ce27af5eb1361903b078e75dcb71.jpeg

like this, I used to set the measurement for the line and pivot it from the top handle until it precisely touched the vertical constraint line. Now since I have only the middle handle I can’t do it precisely and I have to lose time guessing the exact angle. Also, I used to be able to set the origin spot and transform the length from that origin. Now I can't. And on top of that, now I can't set height or width to permanent 0 so every time I change the angle, h and W also change to reflect the new box size. Turning my straight lines into a hypotenuse. So can't check any measurements in my diagonal lines 

If you draw a vertical line its rotation paddle will be at the top, but if you draw a horizontal line and rotate it through 90° degrees its rotation paddle will be at the side. To get the paddle back to the top in the latter case, select the line and choose ‘Add’ from the Edit (‘...’) menu to add the line to itself.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 minutes ago, Alfred said:

If you draw a vertical line its rotation paddle will be at the top, but if you draw a horizontal line and rotate it through 90° degrees its rotation paddle will be at the side. To get the paddle back to the top in the latter case, select the line and choose ‘Add’ from the Edit (‘...’) menu to add the line to itself.

Yeah I used to do it like that now all my handles are in the middle no matter how I draw the lines and tried the self add thing and is not working 

9 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Hum, interesting one.

So, the line you’re trying to rotate around the lower pivot point must stay an exact length, yeah?

That’s why you’re not using the node tool to simply move the top node so it snaps exactly to the vertical construction line?

If the answer to the two questions above is ‘yes’. Then I’m thinking snap might be your friend.. though the little bit of experimenting I’ve done suggests this is not straight forward.

Once you confirm the line must stay a fixed length, then I’ll need to play a bit to see if I can help. Can’t promise I’m afraid - you’re into very sophisticated technical drawing using an app intended for creative illustration. Happy to see if we can push it though.

——-

(I’ve always felt the rotation handle to be clumsy tool, btw, and this demonstrates why, perfectly.. it’s a tool that’s come from Microsoft-land and that’s rarely a good thing).

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

53 minutes ago, Alfred said:

If you draw a vertical line its rotation paddle will be at the top, but .....

@Alfred, I’ve just observed that creating a vertical line using the pen tool = paddle in middle. Drawing a vertical line with the pencil tool = paddle at the top.

If I then create a vertical line using the pen tool, but create a little tick at the top, the I get the paddle at the top...

So-o-o—o, there’s a nuance to exactly how you create a vertical line, that determines if the paddle is at the top? I’m not understanding this right now.

@Estalfos - this isn’t ideal, but may get you to where you need to be.

1. Create a long thin vertical rectangle using the rectangle tool.
  2. Select it with the move tool and you should see the rotation handle at the top
  3. Convert to curves
  4. Using the node tool, select two of the nodes down the side and delete.

This leaves you with a vertical line with the rotation handle at the top. (Or it did for me)

You could then clone that for use. Not entirely satisfactory, but a workaround that might be productive for you..

I’m also not sure how robust it is - whether at some point it will revert to the handle in the middle.

Hope that helps... for now.

@ProDesignerExactly as you said, it is yes to both. The length must be set since it corresponds to a measurement on a client's body. So I must pivot it to determine the shoulder point and angle and complete the neckline 

5 minutes ago, ProDesigner said:

@Alfred, I’ve just observed that creating a vertical line using the pen tool = paddle in middle. Drawing a vertical line with the pencil tool = paddle at the top.

If I then create a vertical line using the pen tool, but create a little tick at the top, the I get the paddle at the top...

So-o-o—o, there’s a nuance to exactly how you create a vertical line, that determines if the paddle is at the top? I’m not understanding this right now.

Regarding this, this is how I used to make my lines. If u made a vertical line the paddle would be in the top point but if you draw a vertical line it would be on top but at the middle of the line. Now all my lines no matter how I draw then get the paddle in the middle of the line. As shown in the video. 

6 minutes ago, ProDesigner said:

I’ve just observed that creating a vertical line using the pen tool = paddle in middle.

I wasn’t getting that before, but it seems to be the result of adding lines to an existing document. Starting with a new document I do indeed get the paddle in the middle.

Alfred spacer.png

3 minutes ago, ProDesigner said:

@Estalfos - this isn’t ideal, but may get you to where you need to be.

1. Create a long vertical rectangle using the rectangle tool.
  2. Select it with the move tool and you should see the rotation handle at the top
  3. Convert to curves
  4. Using the node tool, select two of the nodes down the side and delete.

This leaves you with a vertical line with the rotation handle at the top. (Or it did for me)

You could then clone that for use. Not entirely satisfactory maybe.

I’m also not sure how robust it is - whether at some point it will revert to the handle in the middle at some point.

Hope that helps... for now.

Haha well I gave it a try. Hahaha. And it did not work I isolated a line and the handle move to the side once it was alone 😆 

5 minutes ago, Estalfos said:

I isolated a line and the handle move to the side once it was alone

I’m not seeing that here. Perhaps you could attach your file for others to play with.

Alfred spacer.png

14 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I wasn’t getting that before, but it seems to be the result of adding lines to an existing document. Starting with a new document I do indeed get the paddle in the middle.

Are we on to something here @Alfred?

There’s a setting somewhere?

Or your existing document was originated before 1.9 and has retained something?

So if @Estalfos was to open an existing document created before 1.9, then test to see if they get the handle at the top...they could  paste in their work they’re working on right now and use it as a template going forward?

12 minutes ago, ProDesigner said:

More likely the latter, @ProDesigner.

Alfred spacer.png

Just now, Alfred said:

More likely the latter, @ProDesigner.

My thoughts too.

So my suggestion that @Estalfos uses an existing document might be a way forward.. though possibly not a robust one.

Not sure why we both retained a handle at the top with the rectangle exercise though, and @Estalfos didn’t.

1 minute ago, ProDesigner said:

Are we on to something here @Alfred?

So if @Estalfos was to open an existing document created before 1.9, then test to see if they get the handle at the top...they could  paste in their work they’re working on right now and use it as a template going forward?

The image of the working document is from before 1.9

I will upload a new one I was trying to create and an old one so you can see.  

I have tried opening my old ones and all my lines now have paddles  in the middle. 

post1.9.afdesign pre1.9 - basic xl pattern working.afdesign

@Estalfos - something to watch just so we’re sure you created the rectangle in this way, or did you do something different?

6 minutes ago, ProDesigner said:

@Estalfos - something to watch just so we’re sure you created the rectangle in this way, or did you do something different?

I followed the video and it worked!! It is a nice workaround yet definitely not a solution haha but it's gonna be very helpful!! Thank you!! 

There is still the issue regarding transformation and origin points and how my the H and W go crazy one you change the angle since it's now showing the box dimensions and do not retain the permanent 0 that lines used to have.  Well at least in the lines not created with this method (because it works perfectly in this one I just made) 

I thought it was odd that the rectangle worked for both myself and @Alfred , but not for you.

Glad you’ve got something workable.

Phew, an interesting one. Tired-out now, going for a lie down, it is late after all.

7 hours ago, Estalfos said:

I used to set the measurement for the line and pivot it from the top handle until it precisely touched the vertical constraint line.

Would this approach work for controlling pivot point and rotation angle?

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/