You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do you turn off brush shapes when painting?

I've looked through all the preferences in Affinity Photo and I'm not seeing a way to turn off the shape of a brush when painting?

Say I have a grass brush selected. When I'm painting the outline of the brush on the screen gets in the way of what I'm trying to do. I had thought in the preferences that Show Brush Previews was going to be what I needed but appears not unfortunately.

Is there a way to do this at all?

Thanks,

Mark

Hmm okay this is now strange. I've restarted AP and now the outlines are no longer there. Thought it may have been because I turned off that preference however I just turned it back on again and restarted again and they're still not there so I've got what I wanted but have absolutely no idea of how I got that to happen!!

Would love to know exactly what setting affects this so that if they turn back on again I'll know how to turn them off though if anyone knows?

Thanks,

Mark

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @markbowen

Our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here!

On 2/27/2021 at 7:29 PM, markbowen said:

Hmm okay this is now strange. I've restarted AP and now the outlines are no longer there. Thought it may have been because I turned off that preference however I just turned it back on again and restarted again and they're still not there so I've got what I wanted but have absolutely no idea of how I got that to happen!!

Would love to know exactly what setting affects this so that if they turn back on again I'll know how to turn them off though if anyone knows?

This is definitely strange, as the feature you're requesting - to hide the brush outlines altogether - is not one that Affinity supports currently!

The Show Brush Previews you have referred to above is a setting to control whether the brush stoke will be shown on the canvas before applying the stroke, as some users prefer to see a live preview of the stroke before they paint it.

The only time the brush outline will not be shown, as far as I know, is if your zoom level is so low that the preview cannot be drawn in the space for the brush, your brush is too small for the current zoom level, or vice versa and the brush is too large for the zoom level - 

I hope this clears things up :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

On 5/19/2021 at 12:13 PM, Dan C said:

I hope this clears things up :)

Hiya. Yes and no 😉

Have no idea why I ever had them not showing yet totally understand that this isn't a feature currently available so must have been some weird anomaly going on or perhaps I was zoomed to a level where they didn't show. Not so sure which it could have been now though unfortunately.

Would be nice to have a setting for that though if there's ever any time to add it in though 😉

Best wishes,

Mark