You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Memory Growth and Slowing Down

I have been doing simple editing of tiff files generated by scanning old negatives and exporting to JPG. Each file is about 30-40MB.  What I noticed that each time I load a new tiff file, edit it, and export it to JPG, then close it, the memory usage goes up by 100-200MB. After 11 photos (closing them all) the memory usage increased by 1.4GB and remained that way even though there was no photos opened.  I also noted a creeping slowness as I edited the photos. The memory usage at launching affinity photo is 331MB and after the 11 photos was 1.98GB.  I also noticed if you just open the photo, then close it, the memory does not go back down, so each opening adds to the memory usage. Hardware acceleration is disabled due to I have AMD 5500XT GPU. I also tried stitching a panorama and photo consumed almost 4GB of memory and would not reduce that amount after closing the photo or loading a new photo.  Is this normal operation, that every photo opened adds to memory usage and grows and grows? 

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @phil_k,

Sorry for the delay in replying to your thread.

Do you still have this issue with the latest version of Affinity Photo?  

In my test with Affinity Photo on Windows 10, when i closed the image, the RAM usage went down, which is what i would expect.