You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Astrophotography Stack

With Affinity Photo for iPad version 1.9.1, can I access the astrophotography features that are described in the Youtube videos? The method of accessing menu options is different between the desktop version and the iPad version, and I do not see a way to access the “New Astrophotography Stack”.

Thank you in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Stacking requires a lot of CPU power and memory. And there are certainly other reasons why there is no astrophotography stacking in the iPad version.

The iPad Pro models with M1 processor could do this. But it would be far too costly to hide functions that are not supported by older iPads.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

I agree @Al4 

— off topic — 

People buy iPads Pro for exactly the same reasons they buy top-spec computers: to run at full speed and have access to all the features of the latest versions of any graphics software they have interest in. It's natural to expect that on the latest versions of hardware, whether desktop or mobile (built specifically for graphics and design, like the iPad Pro or Mac) you'll have access to things that aren't available on six-year-old hardware. Technological evolution doesn't account for outdated stuff and it would be absurd for anyone to expect that a 2gbram device like the iPad Pro 9.7 is going to forever have the same features as the new 8,16 and probably even more ram models in the future, or that their 4 generation old processor is enough to develop the same power as an M1 iPad Pro. 

It’s no accident that there are topics here that put various specs of the latest PC hardware, and the performance they record when running Affinity software, at users' fingertips. Nobody buys new hardware just because it looks nice. It's absurd for anyone to think that a 7 year old PC system would hold developers back from evolving and adapting their software for new requirements. The iPad Pro is no different.

(All the above in my opinion.)

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

• 6 months later...

I’ve just discovered the V2 release and price offer. But then I discovered that, despite the fact that developers know that there is demand for it, the astrophotography features are for desktop only, again. I recognise, of course, that versions have to have cut-offs for feature inclusions to prevent an in-development app becoming a ‘creeping feature creature’, but this is a feature being used by desktop users, has been requested by iPad users and Serif publicity proclaims for iPad the full power of the desktop app. I was so excited by News of V2, I was considering upgrading to the Universal licence. However, I’m so disappointed by this omission, I think I’ll stay with v1 in all things for now.

Just to explain a bit. There are a lot more cloudy nights than clear ones, so astrophotographers have more time to process than to capture. However, everyone is so busy these days that maximising down time is essential. I often travel for business, and on those nights away, when I invariably have my iPad as well as company laptop (no personal software), doing some astrophotography processing would be a welcome opportunity. Affinity is the only iPad app that comes close, and has astrophotography in its desktop version, so I’d hoped that V2 would help me scratch that itch, but sadly not.

Please, Serif, add astrophotography?

Regards to all.

Clear skies!

Edited by Poortryon

I agree @Poortryon, it is disappointing that the astro stacking was not included with this version of Affinity Photo. Yes, being able to process astro photography on the iPad would be great.

The pricing for the full bundle would be very tempting, except that I do not have a computer. My iPad is my only device, so I could purchase the 3 programs individually for much less than the bundle price.

I also agree @Poortryon. I read that the iPad V2 would have the full power of the desktop app and was looking forward to being able to stack astro pics on the move around Europe on my iPad Pro. I have Windows V2 on my desktop so can use that at home, but it’s going to be frustrating having to wait to process my astro pics later after my travels.

This is the bit, on the Serif website, that reeled me in….’Affinity Photo for iPad is a genuine desktop-grade, professional photo editing app. With all the power of its desktop counterpart and complete file format compatibility, it gives you the freedom to create wherever you are, without any compromise.

Hi @Pete G,

I still experiment with all the new stuff available to iPad, and from the little I know so far long-pressing New in Affinity Photo menu brings up a list of options, among which there is a function called Stack, and which behave similar to what I’ve seen in videos regarding Astrophotography Stacking. I don’t know if we speak about the same thing and I also do not know to which extent the desktop options are available to the iPad, but we now have stacking, batch jobs and many other functions for the first time on mobile. I don’t think Serif lied at all regarding genuine desktop-grade bit. 

If you meant something else, please disregards my reply; all the best!

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

@iuli,

I haven’t played too much with the new V2 functions to know if the new stacking feature includes astrophotography or not. One thing I’ve read is that focus stacking will be a new option, so I’m not sure if that’s the new “Stack” function you saw or if that new function includes more.

In the 1.9 update for desktop Photo V1 Serif introduced the Astrophotography Stack Persona, a completely new Persona. I used it, but not fully because I don't do deep space imaging, just milky way stuff with an MSM rotator. It works really well on my desktop. I was looking forward to using that Persona on my iPad in V2 because, taking Serif at their word, I would have 'all the power of the desktop version'. I know it's easy to gripe and moan but overall I'm gobsmacked by the capability and value of Photo V2 for iPad. But, if there's a chance you could include that AS Persona in a future V2 update it would be fantastic. Maybe it's not included because an iPad just wouldn't be up to the task.
Oh and just one final one. Unrelated. Please fix the Lens Filter Adjustment V2 iPad bug. I have to do that in V1 at the moment and then post it back to V2. Thanks.