You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello guys.

I would like to ask few questions regarding PSD import / export from Photoshop to Affinity and back. I use Photoshop CS6 in my PC and I have a plan to use Affinity Designer (or Photo later) to do comic book lettering. I use just few tools in PS like Shapes, Paths and Text layers, with some of blending options like Stroke, Drop shadow, Colour and gradient fill. I created one PSD file in PS containing layers with ballons and text for testing how it will be opened in Affinity Designer - option: Favour editable text over fidelity.

Well, it looks quite good, but there are still some small issues.

1. I create ballons as elipse (Shape tool) with the tail (Path) as non-destructive combination. AD export this combination as dectructed shape with no possibility to edit ellipse and tail indepently. Yes, still editable as curves but non destructive combinations from PS are gone. Is there something I can do in PS and/or AD to be able import connected shapes correctly?

2. When I create ballon in AD as non desctuctive compound of Ellipse and curve, export it as PSD, then it is opened in PS as 3 layers (with clipping mask?) but the curve is not combined with the ellipsis as in AD. They look like separated shapes.

3. Text layers are imported to AD as editable text, but some of settings are not the same e.g. I am missing “optical” kerning. Would it be possible to get this option in the future?

4. When I export PSD from AD and open it in PS the text layers are rasterised and they are not editable anymore. Would it be possible to get this option in the future?

5. Gradient fill of the Shape is imported/exported correctly but gradient fill as "blending option" of the layer tis imported to AD correctly but in export from AD to PS it is changed to simple colour.

Some of my clients are quite OK to get flat 1 layer TIFF or high quality JPG, so there will be no issue. But some of them reqest to have editable PSD to be able do some minor changes by themslef (ususally text correction) if needed. They works with Adobe stuff on PCs so obviously I cannot push them to switch to Affinity’s products and Apple hardware.

There are screenshots of my lettering test in Affinity Designer and Photoshop.

Original file created in Photoshop:

63vr07.jpg

PSD opened in Affinity Designer:

11klaie.png

and PSD exported from AD and opened back in Photoshop:

5bv7dd.jpg