You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 1.9.1 crashing very soon after start-up

Having just installed the latest version that was released - version 1.9.1.979 - I find that Publisher crashes within about 30 seconds every time I open it. Even if all I do is open the preferences dialogue box, when I go to close it the program no longer responds. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the previous version (which did work) but that no longer works either. The upgraded versions of Designer and Photo both appear to be working fine. I have tried disabling the GPU acceleration but this has had no effect.

The event log looks like this:

The program Publisher.exe version 1.9.1.979 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
 Process ID: 4c4
 Start Time: 01d70c8f5282bc50
 Termination Time: 6
 Application Path: C:\Program Files\Affinity\Publisher\Publisher.exe
 Report Id: 7a7a8cde-0c95-4e1d-a678-0449c750cdd5
 Faulting package full name:
 Faulting package-relative application ID:
 Hang type: Unknown

And the system information is this:

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, 16GB RAM, Radeon RX480 running Radeon driver version 20.11.2, Win10 Pro build 19042.804.

Is there anything you may be able to recommend?

Thank you

I have the same problem, Publisher keeps crashing when I try to open any affinity file (afpub, afdesign), since upgrading to the new version 1.9.1.979 these files worked perfectly prior to the upgrade . Other files like psd, pdf's files open ok. Which means Publisher is no longer useable for me and I have a project to complete.

Would be grateful if someone can provide a solution speedily. Thanks

Edited by Fel1
update version detail

Same here. I can open a file, even duplicate a text frame, but as soon as I try to type something in the frame, Affinity publisher crashes. Never crashed before I did the update.

I would be very thankful if someone has a solution.

If any of you are getting crash reports it might be helpful to upload them here.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I have been having the same problem, with the program crashing within a minute of opening it up. This has been happening since updating to 1.9.1. It stops responding whether I'm working on a document or if I don't do anything once I have opened the program. I have uninstalled and re-installed, with firewall active and inactive. I have deep cleaned my pc to remove all program traces. I have tried with and without any other programs running. I tried downloading the Customer Beta and the previous version 1.9.0., which used to work without a problem, but even those don't work now. I've tried with hardware acceleration on and off.

One thing I have noticed is that the Publisher icon doesn't appear as a desktop shortcut, all I get is a generic icon appearing.

Please get this problem sorted soon. I've got projects in progress which now need to be completed with some expediency.

In reply to all those who are sadly suffering from this same problem, and in light of the lack of a response thus far, I can report that my version of Publisher now appears to be miraculously working as normal.

I have checked which updates have occurred since I first posted this and all I can see is that there have been several updates to Microsoft Defender. I am afraid, therefore, that I am unable to make any suggestions about how anyone else can get their program to work. For the record, the latest Defender update (KB2267602) I have is version 1.333.174.0 if that helps in any way.

Publisher 1.9.1979 crashes immediately when I try to save my file or when inserting a text from MS Word by copy and paste. I upload the latest crash report. One of many ...

This problem should be solved ASAP Seems that I am not the only one who needs a working Affinity Publisher for work.

Apart from that: Serif did a great job with the Affinity-programs and I like them very much. (I hope that may encourage you ... ;-))

a9157c08-e774-4b94-854b-5559f7a9b527.dmp

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi all, apologies for the late reply, but if anyone in this thread is still getting crash on run up issues in 1.9.2 can you let us know by bumping this thread, any 1.9.2 crash reports will also be useful

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com