You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Applying an effect strongly on the right side of an image, lightly on the left

Hello All!

I have a old scan of an image, nice details, but the colour is distinctly stronger towards the right hand side than the left, and it appears to change very smoothly.

So, what I want to do is adjust the colour saturation, so that the left edge gets a strong colour boost, with the effect fading left to right, so the right edge is not affected.

Is this possible please?

All clues gratefully received!
Thank You,

Nick

Yup.

Add an HSL Shift adjustment, set the Saturation Shift to the left:

682098318_Screenshot2021-02-26at20_24_02.thumb.png.53ffc6bda14408be82b0b181a8e60efc.png

With the HSL Adjustment layer selected, choose the Gradient Tool and drag it across the image:

1659729631_Screenshot2021-02-26at20_25_30.png.96efcd9913b55795ff11a06314487c3b.png

White is full effect, black is no effect.

(I did mine right to left but the principle is the same.)

Cheers,

H

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Sorry, it took me a while to get the time to come back to this.

Wow! So easy I got it right first time, thank you so much!

In case it's of interest, I was working on an old map of Mars by Antoniadi, where on side of his map was distinctly darker than the other. I wanted to wrap it around a sphere to make a CGI Mars globe.

I attach the result, showing the seam - it's still visible, but that's mainly because his map edges did not match up quite properly.

Nick

mars-gradient-fixx.jpg