You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Discussion on updating Affinity Designer for macOS - 1.9.1 (split)

(NOTE: This thread was originally posted in this Announcement thread, but it was split off by a moderator when replies to it turned into it's own topic)

Thanks in advance for the fixes! At this time i'm writing the updates are still not available in the MAS, but the Publisher from the Affinity Store was updated without problems this morning! Keep them coming!

1 hour ago, dcarvalho84 said:

updates are still not available in the MAS

Same here

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

BTW same for Designer here, which initially also was going to be installed as a 345 MB diff update and shortly before installation was finishing the install, it restarted again to download from MAS the whole but then as a 706 MB full download!

af_updates3.jpg.a19887948cb6823469f0fa3d35943a8b.jpg

af_updates4.jpg.e78b83d2982c6e70fb393543e6540cdc.jpg

Also I wonder why this Designer default popup still reads BETA at all (same for Photo popup screen)?

ad_screen.jpg.f566b0f9a9b6f97dc077b5da91eff3fe.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

In uk on mojave - app store icon tells me I have 2 updates - once i'm in app store theres no updates - manually finding Designer and Photo (which now show 1.9.1) I download and leave for a few hours and nothing - really pissed off as publisher direct from serif downloaded in a minute or so ----- is there some new problem with the app store on mojave?

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Are there any other options for downloading from the app store as other type of downloads are working great - nothing seems to download from the MAS - I've tried a load of workaround - signing out, rebooting, refreshing, rebooting wifi box around 8 times - does anyone have any pointers - never had any problems whatsoever before 

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

5 hours ago, dcarvalho84 said:

At this time i'm writing the updates are still not available in the MAS

Same for me for AD & AP, both bought from the MAS. It was the same for the 1.9.0 releases -- neither app was showing in the Updates > Available section of the MAS app.

However (just like with the 1.9.0 releases) when I searched on "Affinity" in the MAS app, both of them showed up, with an "Update" button on their pages. This worked for me.

As an aside, I saw something similar with the iPad versions of AD & AP -- in the iOS App store, no update was showing for either app. But when I went to Purchases & selected each one in turn, the info page had an "Update" button & tapping that worked.

Weird!

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Are there any other options for downloading from the app store as other type of downloads are working great - nothing seems to download from the MAS

Try searching the MAS for the apps, or go to the "Purchases" section & look for them there.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks R C-R - Tried that this morning - I can find and click on the cloud download icon but just doesn't download 

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

18 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Thanks R C-R - Tried that this morning - I can find and click on the cloud download icon but just doesn't download 

For me there was no cloud icon. Instead, there was an "Update" button on the app's description page.

So are you sure you opened the page showing just the app & were not still on a page that listed the apps?

Affinity Photo 

It now appears that the problem is with the app store in Mojave, as I tried rebooting from an external ssd with el capitan and signed into the App Store and it works as expected (the way it worked a few days ago in Mojave) showing update, Designer and Photo are now downloading and hopefully I can copy the apps to my Mojave drive and hopefully it will work - but I could really do without all this faff 

Have any other Mojave users having the same problem?

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Does anyone have any pointers on how to get MAS working normally on Mojave as it seems to be a Mojave problem - my production mac can't go any further and I need CS5 and Acrobat pro on my non - production mac so can't update to Catalina - I don't even know it booting from an external El Capitan volume and downloading from the app store will cause problems with Affinity  

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

25 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Does anyone have any pointers on how to get MAS working normally on Mojave as it seems to be a Mojave problem

Under Mojave try to logout and afterwards again in into the AppStore with your Apple ID (or change Apple IDs forth and back, as far as you have several), you may have to (re)try one or two times until it catches up. At least that's what I once had to do with the AppStore app on Mojave until it finally adapted to behave normal.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

After multiple re-boots today, since around 10.30am I'm now seeing Designer and Photo in MAS but they still hang when clicking on update - anyway- looks like the El Capitan MAS works as expected so downloaded via external boot volume - just have to update my production mac via the external drive ------ FFFFFFAAAHHHHHHHHH!

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

For any other Mojave users who have had trouble with the MAS hanging on all downloads (for me on two different macs running Mojave) I found a solution that worked from a user (User366) on stack exchange, that sorted the app store:

APP Store Fix

Go to Activity Monitor and force-kill appstoreagent process. The app started to download at once. After force-killing appstoreagent, there was no need to log out and log in again in the App Store. Updates and downloads just work again.

Hope this helps

Now have Pub Des Pho working great on both Macs - Great work team

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

5 hours ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Go to Activity Monitor and force-kill appstoreagent process. The app started to download at once. After force-killing appstoreagent, there was no need to log out and log in again in the App Store. Updates and downloads just work again.

I think this is what allowed me to download the update on my Mac running OS 10.14.6. There is something wrong with Apple's Mac App Store.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I think this is what allowed me to download the update on my Mac running OS 10.14.6.

Force killing the appstoreagent process did not do anything for me (running Catalina 10.15.7) but my problem with the store was different -- the store did not show available updates for either AD or AP. This began with the first 1.9.0 retail versions & continued with the 1.9.1 updates.

The only way I could get the updates was to use the MAS search feature, which allowed me to open the MAS page for AD & AP, where the "Update" button was displayed & worked. Weirdly, even after doing that, neither app showed up in the MAS "Updated Recently" list.

So yes, I agree that there is something wrong with the MAS, at least for the Affinity apps.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

So yes, I agree that there is something wrong with the MAS, at least for the Affinity apps.

This is probably not related or of much help but for some time the MAS has been telling me I had an available update for Garage Band, but when I clicked on it, it informed me it required Big Sur. Since I run Catalina, it should not have even showed me that update.

Because of an unrelated issue I rebooted my iMac in Safe Mode for diagnostic purposes. I noticed that while in Safe Mode the MAS app in the purchased section showed a download cloud button for many apps already installed & up-to-date, including AD & AP. I did not try downloading any of them, but after restarting normally the MAS was no longer showing me the Garage Band update.

So maybe trying a Safe Boot & then restarting normally will help a few of you having problems with MAS updates resolve that?

Affinity Photo 

18 hours ago, Dazmondo77 said:

For any other Mojave users who have had trouble with the MAS hanging on all downloads (for me on two different macs running Mojave) I found a solution that worked from a user (User366) on stack exchange, that sorted the app store:

APP Store Fix

Hope this helps

Thanks, Dazmondo77! That worked worked for me.

10 minutes ago, Vinylman1944 said:

Can someone PLEASE explain what the term "MAS" that is being used in this thread means?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Vinylman1944. :)

MAS = Mac App Store

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 2/26/2021 at 2:44 AM, Dazmondo77 said:

APP Store Fix

Hope this helps

Thanks Dazmondo77 . . . this worked for me.

Two appstoreagent entrieslisted--when I FK the Admin one, Update worked in my User account (I need to check if I signed-in on Admin, and sign-out, if so).

Regards, splifingate