You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity 1.9.1 SLOW AS HELL. It is sad to say, but I won't recommend this suite anymore.

2 hours ago, Roqoco said:

Just a random thought - I know that Windows pro has some quirks, for instance they recently released a restrictive safety extension that some users found hard to completely eliminate... Anyway, it seems to me that given the experiences of others with the windows version your problem is most likely due to some incompatibity or glitch with something in your specific configuration. Not easy to tie down what that might be.

Thank you @Roqoco: That could be one of the reasons but I don't understand how that could be happening since the last beta is supposed to be exactly the same as the 'stable' version. It happens since the 1.9 release.

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Not direct from Apple, who currently charge half as much again for the base configuration (8GB RAM + 512GB SSD); doubling the amount of RAM and the SSD size adds another £400 (i.e. £200 + £200) to the price price. And that’s for the system box on its own, so you have to factor in the cost of a monitor and keyboard if you don’t have spare ones lying around.

Ok, I bought the 16GB 1TB model and paid more but performance wise this is the same machine and will be just as quick for Affinity and very usable.

Screenshot 2021-02-27 at 13.02.42.png

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

3 minutes ago, buschbrand said:

Yes! I didn't know, that it's just in AfPhoto ...  Thx for your help.

Think it is because photo is the most computationally intensive app out of the trio.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

56 minutes ago, Venyer said:

Thank you @Roqoco: That could be one of the reasons but I don't understand how that could be happening since the last beta is supposed to be exactly the same as the 'stable' version. It happens since the 1.9 release.

I did not install the beta of 1.9.1, even though I had problems with 1.9.0, because of possible registry mix up, which still sometimes happens with windows. It might be a good idea then to completely remove all serif applications, then take a checkpoint on your registry and run a registry cleaner such as the one in CCleaner to improve the chances of removing registry traces. Also check that no file/directory traces remain. Then do a clean reinstall from scratch. But, maybe you tried this already.      

4 hours ago, Alfred said:

Not direct from Apple, who currently charge half as much again for the base configuration (8GB RAM + 512GB SSD); doubling the amount of RAM and the SSD size adds another £400 (i.e. £200 + £200) to the price price. And that’s for the system box on its own, so you have to factor in the cost of a monitor and keyboard if you don’t have spare ones lying around.

Plus it's £699 not £600, a pretty big difference. Yes, a mere £200 for the extra 8GB of RAM, the usual Apple ripoff. Even worse as RAM is part of the SOC so costs them nothing or close to. £200 for an extra 256GB extra storage is no better. Don't get me started on how insane +£800 is for 2TB! So more realistically £1100+ for many people. 

I far prefer macos over windows especially for graphic design with things like preview (plus Win10 is just so ugly but then big sur isn't exactly a looker) but the soldered in, glued down, non-expandable, non-serviceable, planned obsolescence way they've gone means this Macbook will likely be my last Apple machine. Either a huge repair bill or a very expensive throw away item if something goes wrong. For example SSD's do die, one of mine did, and that's a new logic board which is just stupid.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

3 hours ago, Paul Mudditt said:

Ok, I bought the 16GB 1TB model and paid more but performance wise this is the same machine and will be just as quick for Affinity and very usable.

Screenshot 2021-02-27 at 13.02.42.png

What you mean is it will be very usable unless it's not. Not everyone does the same thing complexity or resolution wise so what might be fine for one person might be totally inadequate for the next. That's the trouble when you try and talk for others!

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

• 9 months later...

I don't use Affinity photo very often but when I do it's been taking a relatively long time to load on my iMac (a minute or so). When it does load, it initially causes my entire computer to slow down for a few seconds - almost like it's going to crash the machine.    

I have an iMac which I run AFPhoto on most of the time but I also have an M1 MacBook. It doesn't seem to run much faster at all on the M1 chip. 

I actually came to the forums to see if this company is even still in business and updating their software. While all the other apps on my machine have been updated and running absolutely perfectly, this one application feels like it hasn't been optimized for 64bit architectures.    

Can someone direct me to any comments by the developers addressing the poor performance?  

Affinity Photo 1.10.4 (from the Mac App Store)
MacOS 12.0.1
iMac 2017, 3.4 GHz i5, 48GB 
MacBook Pro , M1, 16GB