You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Insert Page Number adds # instead of a number

Hi,

I'm trying to add a page  number as shown in this video:

However, it adds a # instead of a number.

Is anyone able to help with how to get a page number to display?

The version is  1.9.1.179

Many thanks,

Natasha

Edited by Natasha

I can see what it's doing, it puts a # on the master page, but a number on the actual page. So this is fine.

The other issue I'm having is that I copy the text box so I can create the same on the opposite page and it creates a text box which is much, much larger than the box I'm copying.

I would expect the box to be the same size. Is there a setting somewhere that I need to change?

Hi Natasha,

Have you selected the text box using the Move tool 246179882_Movetool.JPG.b42d79271d7f1224f9c21db3359abc85.JPG   and then going to Copy and then Paste and dragging the copy to a new position  When I do that I get this result

1444636970_textboxcopy.JPG.7d0c9be19d0ee06bb9b5c350c3413e67.JPGand you can see the text box remains the same size.
[This was being  done on a Master Page and although the copied text box looks identical, it will give correct numbering on Left and Right pages in your spread (the 4 is actually an inserted field Total number of pages and instead of a symbol like the Page Number field, it actually shows the number of pages in your spread - I had simply set the spread up with 4 pages)]

An alternative and quicker method is [once you have set up the text and your cursor is still in the text box] is to simply move the cursor to the edge of the text frame and the cursor changes to a four headed arrow,

image_2021-02-27_031509.png.ae1a8aa66af5080a1ac29ad2f290add7.pngthen hold down the CTRL key (in Windows) and drag  - you will then find a copy being dragged as you move - red guide lines will help you position the copy DON'T release CTRL until the copy is in the correct position or the original will disappear!.

This was produced with Beta 1.9.1.967 but has worked with earlier versions, too

Best wishes, keep on using and learning

PMan 

Windows 10 Home, Publisher 1.9, Publisher Beta 1.9.1.967

Edited by PMan
i) incorrect typing of beta version ii) not mentioned it was on a master page

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.