You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Updating Issues for v.1.9.1 on Win10Pro - Maybe S Mode

Is anyone else having issues installing the latest versions (1.9.1) of Photo, Designer or Publisher on Windows10?
Most recently, in the last three weeks or so, everytime I try to install program or app updates, Windows notifies me via a pop-up dialogue box, that "It's time to update your device".

With a little research, it appears it is part of Microsoft's initiative of "S Mode", a stricter enforcement of security.  S Mode apparently requires one (a) to use the Microsoft Store for installable items; and, (b) Limits Windows10 to the use of MS Edge (browser) and Bing Maps.
In my case, I am able to use any map app and any other browser I've chosen; so if this is supposedly an enforcement of S Mode, actual implementation of S Mode (assuming that's the case since I cannot confirm it so) on my workstation (Win10 Pro, version 10.0.15063 build 15063) is inconsistent at best.  I say I cannot confirm it because when I click on the "See how" link in the aforementioned pop-up, I get another pop-up, which states, "Your device is not running in S mode.  Very confusing:  If it's not in S mode, why is it asking me to update my system?  I did go ahead and update Windows the first time I encountered this issue, and it is a suspect of causality for me.  (I've begun uninstalling updates, one at a time, to see if there is any reversal of this chain of pop-ups.)  So far, no reversals.

I've spent hours on this issue (just wanting to update my three Affinity programs), but with what appears to be Microsoft's alienation to adequate support, I'm at a loss.d
Any input from anyone?  Any links to answers or options proven to be successful?
Thanks in advance.

Switch out of S mode.jpg

Time to Update Pop-Up.PNG

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
(Still stumbling along given too many directions at any given moment)
Windows10 platform

Go here and follow the instructions to get out of "S Mode".
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-in-s-mode-faq-851057d6-1ee9-b9e5-c30b-93baebeebc85

Read this one: How do I switch out of S mode?
That should fix it for good.

It does have a warning in that answer:
"Note: Don't select the link under Upgrade your edition of Windows. That's a different process that will keep you in S mode."
That may be the issue you are having.

I appreciate your response; and, I do wish it is the issue I am having.

Been there, but the page in the Activation does not match the instructions on the URL you sent.  See attachments.  This was one of a couple hints to me that something isn't right; and, from experience has made me consider one of the automatic Windows updates that MS now virtually demands, to be the cause of all the conflicting on-screen information.  Also from experience, uninstalling MS updates has NEVER for been a great success, so I'm leary of continuing on that course.

Still open to ideas based on the images attached compared to the instructions you provided a link to.

Thanks, it is APPRECIATED!

Win10 Settings-Update-Activation 2.PNG

Win10 Settings-Update-Activation 1.PNG

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
Windows10 platform

Someone from the Serif support team should be here eventually; they're quite busy at the moment.

Is your problem specifically with the Affinity applications, or does it affect other applications? It really does sound like a Windows problem, and perhaps one you should be dealing with Microsoft's support team to resolve (especially if other applications are affected).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I've been reaching out to any and all who may be involved.  Microsoft support for Windows10 is for all practical purposes, "Non-Existent"; and a circular path of nothingness.  I've spent hours on just trying to reach them (not including more hours searching the Internet).  I did get one response from their user community, but he referred me back to online support pages at MS that I had already tried without success.  All that is left, is to try to "reset" the OS, which means there is a better than average chance it will render third-party apps inoperative.  My own opinion is that MS is gradually taking steps to reduce support costs by adding more control over sourcing of third-party apps by requiring those apps be sourced through their MS Store.  If an install doesn't come from them, the OS process sends you down a massive rabbit hole.  In the case of Affinity. it's apps are there for purchase, but nothing is available for updates. 

So, hoping to hear from anyone who has experienced the same or similar issues and found solutions.

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
Windows10 platform

@RickyO

I happily confess this is the first time I've ever heard of this Windows 10 S Mode!

A very quick read of this Microsoft page seems to suggest it is installed at point of manufacture of certain specific computers, with particular mention of "Educational" use.  So, is yours one of this "type" of computer?

If it is, I would very much suspect that very few, if any, other Affinity users have encountered the problem because they do not own or run an "affected" computer.  If the steps that M$ gives do not enable you to "change" the status of your computer I'm not sure whether anyone else can help you, sorry.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

It's the first time for myself also.

Not an edu OS version.  I build all my own workstations; this one running a Gigabytes GA-AX370 motherboard, AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6-core @ 3.2GHz,  GeForce GTX 1050Ti and 32Gb RAM.  It's starting to show its age, so if this roadblock in the OS is going to have legs, I might just start over in hdwr and OS.  Hopefully, I can just solve this one (too much ego on my part).

Yup, went through that page you mentioned, and all the links on it, and on and on and on.  Rabbit hole.

As for the OS enabling me to change status, that's where it all goes into the dark:  There aren't any options on my settings pages that match those in the MS pages.  Very odd.  The OS is a full license and registered with MS, purchased through a well-known and reputable retailer; so I'm assuming it's legitimate.

All I can see as a first option is to RESET the OS; or, rebuild (wipe & reinstall) the OS and all the applications.  Thankfully, I run only the OS on the C-drive and all data goes to a separate drive and has two levels of backup for any and all forms of data.  XAMPP/local webdev re-install will be the real bitch; always is.

All I can think that may have caused it might have been any of a number of OS updates, in which case, history has shown success in removing them is questionable.

One for the books.

Thanks for your response.

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
Windows10 platform