You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

i wonder if there's a polygon selection tool that i just can't find? I know that the Lasso tool works kind of similar when holding the shift key down but it isn't really similar to the polygon selector in Photoshop for two reasons:

1. It doesn't stop selecting when the loop is closed (basically because it is closed from the beginning as it is a lasso)

2. It snap each pixel to the grid if grid snapping is on instead of just snapping the ends and draw straight lines in between.

Any idea how i can work around this?

Thanks!

ok. I've been wanting to do low poly art pictures based on photos and well... triangles are somehow key to that. Any idea how a different approach could look like? Is there any way to convert vector shapes to selections? This way i  could draw vectors first and convert them later to be able to do an average blur on them.

Thanks for helping anyway. Is there some kind of a roadmap where we can see what to expect in the next release(s)?

• Staff

You can use the Pen tool to draw the shapes and then convert them to a selection pressing the Selection button on the context toolbar. However there's no need to convert them. You can group the shapes and simple apply a Live Blur filter to the group. To do this, select the group layer and click on the Live Filters icon on the bottom of the Layers panel, then select an appropriate blur filter. Since those are real-time filters you can edit their properties anytime double-clicking their thumbnail in the Layers panel.

Here's Affinity Photo's roadmap for the next months.

• Staff

You're welcome ^_^. Another option you may want to turn on is Snapping (menu View ▸ Snapping Manager...). Check Enable snapping (on top), Only Snap to visible objects and Snap to object geometry, to make the Pen tool snap to the nodes of existing triangles, for easier alignment. When creating a new triangle, start from the node that doesn't overlap any other node, then proceed to the other two taking advantage of the snapping to overlap the existing nodes of other triangles.

You can also press and hold ⌘ (cmd) anytime to quickly change to the Node Tool if you need to drag/adjust any node position.

Me once again - tried that but still have some question. When working with Affinity Photo i can only create Pixel layers, right? Might it be a good idea to use Affinity Designer again on this? Also the filter section doesn't have any possibility to do an average blur on the layer below, right? At least didn't find that.

EDIT: saw your last post only after sending mine, sorry. I do have snapping on already. just failing on the vector creation until now - only get antialised pixel triangles.

Also: what is the shortcut for a new layer? Is there something similar to actions in photoshop? Something like a macro system?

• Staff

If you use the Pen tool to create the shapes they will remain vector paths, even if inside a Pixel layer. If you want to start the project in Designer, you can also do it there (just remember that there's no filters in Designer). However if you have both programs you can switch the document between them going to menu File ▸ Edit in Designer/Photo... depending in which program you're working on.

Hmm ok, i'm proceeding. Having drawn quite some triangles each single one in it's own layer i still have trouble getting the filter thing right. The filter seems to only apply to the border or fill i add to my vector. Instead i would have it to get it from the picture on the layer below. Do i probably have to convert it to a selection? wouldn't be that great as a i think the vector flexibility is lost then but maybe the only way?

• Staff

Without seeing the structure of your file it's difficult to guess what's going on, but you can nest the filter to the base image so it only affects the image and not the triangles which should be inside a layer or group above it. To do this drag the filter layer over the thumbnail of the image layer until a blue vertical marker appears in the Layers panel.

Not sure if this helps...