You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AMD Radeon RX Hardware Acceleration

On 8/31/2022 at 8:59 PM, James Ritson said:

The benchmark in Photo will be representative for all the Affinity apps—the CPU single and multi vector scores illustrate the kind of performance to expect in Designer as it primarily deals with vector operations (which are all CPU-based).

Text will be rendered on CPU as it's vector. I believe layer effects (e.g. drop shadow, gaussian blur) are also rendered on CPU in Designer but I'll double check. There could be other factors at play—it's worth doing the benchmark first on both machines to compare the scores, as it may highlight an area where one is weaker...

So I did some back and forth and more testing with more files, used some variety to all vectors, some vectors some rasters and files that had all but the fonts as raster.

To my surprise there is no longer any visible performance hit by not having GPU acceleration enabled anymore. Whatever was the reason of the lag I experienced the first time I started looking on why my GPU is not supported, is just not there anymore.

Maybe some other bug? Some windows update? Some drivers update else where in the system? Honestly I can't tell.

So to conclude, I think I was somewhat misled to what performance impact this had on my systems and my workflow and never tested again to verify, just stopped using the system that could not have the acceleration on.

I'm sorry for adding more posts in an issue that, at least on my side, is not really an issue. Although it raise the question on what was the big deal with acceleration anyway, but I don't care as long as things work fast and efficient.

As a side note the systems I work on:

The one at home with no GPU acceleration is

Ryzen 5 2600
16GB 2400 DDR4 ram
Radeon 5500XT 4GB
SSD: Crucial MX500 SSD 500GB M.2 SATA III

The one at office with GPU acceleration ON:

Ryzen 1600AF (not to be confused with the original 1600, this is a bit slower 2600 with another name for reasons only AMD know)
16GB 2666 DDR4 RAM
Radeon 7790 1GB
SSD: Samsung Evo 850 250GB

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mark,

I recently downloaded the Affinity Designer trial. I run a RX5700XT and came across this thread in regards to hardware acceleration. Wondering how the bug report to AMD is progressing as I am on the cusp of a system upgrade. Having been a long term ATI / AMD user it would be preferable to remain with their hardware. Does it look like this issue will be addressed within the near future? 

Thank you for your time. 

• 2 weeks later...

AMD released a new driver yesterday (Oct 4, 2022) and in the notes it may seem to show a fix (though not explicit) , which Affinity would then have to test and then re-enable hardware acceleration. I switched to nVidia more than a year ago, but I am hoping that since the 4000 series is completely new that the driver issue will not exist. I've been very disappointed with AMD's seeming lack of response on this issue as it has been coming up on 2 years now!

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, rkdp said:

AMD has had almost 2 years to correct this and has chosen not to. With their new gpus coming out, I don't think AMD is going to make last generation's gpus a high priority. And I'm saying this and yet hoping their new ones have a good showing and work properly with OpenCL!

Supposedly allegedly they are putting major emphasis on better drivers to compete this gen. Might be why they could be delayed. How this impacts OpenCL I don't know, but with Zen 4 not flying off the shelf they could use this win. Nvidia just unlaunched one of the 4080s (should have been a 4070/4060...) due to bad press.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

6 hours ago, debraspicher said:

Supposedly allegedly they are putting major emphasis on better drivers to compete this gen. Might be why they could be delayed. How this impacts OpenCL I don't know, but with Zen 4 not flying off the shelf they could use this win. Nvidia just unlaunched one of the 4080s (should have been a 4070/4060...) due to bad press.

zen 4 and AM5 is not flying of the selfs because it cost as much as a whole PC to just get CPU+MOBO right now. It is funny that they are not outsold by intel but the AM4 offerings.

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

i have the same case, i use the nvidia RTX3050 GPU & Intel Iris Xe Graphics
the procie use core i7 gen 11, before update to win 11 22H2, the Hardware Acceleration is fine and still work.
but after update to 22H2 the openCL Hardware acceleration give me notice : Unsupported Machine Configuration.

1 hour ago, Zackariasa said:

i have the same case, i use the nvidia RTX3050 GPU & Intel Iris Xe Graphics
the procie use core i7 gen 11, before update to win 11 22H2, the Hardware Acceleration is fine and still work.
but after update to 22H2 the openCL Hardware acceleration give me notice : Unsupported Machine Configuration.

This topic is about AMD RX graphics, and you seem to have Nvidia RTX graphics, so it does not sound like the same issue. 

I think you should post your own topic, and provide some additional info such as a screenshot of your Performance Preferences in the application. Also, a screenshot of the output of the dxdiag command might be useful. I can't check right now but I think we'd want to see the Display tab for each of your GPUs.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, OpenCL acceleration seems to up and running in V2. Great news overall, just a bit late and behind a reasonable paywall, but ok. I also do not think it would be fixed in V1, would be nice, but from business perspective have 0 sense. Thanks Serif for figuring and fixing it out in V2.

Photo V2... OpenCL can be activated on Radeon RX 6700 XT graphics, but the work in the program is slower than with the option disabled. Just opening a NEF file takes much longer than with the OpenCL option turned off. Likewise, work in the program, tools, brush movement... everything lags :-(.

Unfortunately, with the OpenCL option disabled, the program is not fast either, but still better than with opencl enabled.

It's a shame, this is the only thing missing for me to be satisfied with the upgrade.

43 minutes ago, Rahora said:

Photo V2... OpenCL can be activated on Radeon RX 6700 XT graphics, but the work in the program is slower than with the option disabled. Just opening a NEF file takes much longer than with the OpenCL option turned off. Likewise, work in the program, tools, brush movement... everything lags :-(.

Unfortunately, with the OpenCL option disabled, the program is not fast either, but still better than with opencl enabled.

It's a shame, this is the only thing missing for me to be satisfied with the upgrade.

ohh... so they just add an option to turn it on/off, despite fast or slow OCL rebuilds, I see. So it is not fixed, just swept under the rug. I guess we have to wait for AMD now, so who know how long or if even they are able to do anything about that... It is just odd that it works fine in other apps...

On 11/11/2022 at 9:55 AM, ashf said:

Hope OpenCL performance of Radeon will be fixed also soon...

As much as I would like to believe in that, it is almost above 2 years so...
From other hand, once I had a problem with Substance Painter and AMD did provide me a beta driver within a week after I politely nag (only once) one of the higher-ups in Radeon structures.
I don't know, maybe we Radeon and Affinity users have to put some polite and civilized pressure on AMD to finally do something about that. Or if they have something wrong with their architecture that creates this issue, to at last admit it in our face.

On 11/11/2022 at 6:20 AM, Doteya said:

On my PC's Affinity Photo 2 benchmark,
Raster (Multi CPU) : 559 (Ryzen 9 3900X)
Raster (Single GPU) : 902 (Radeon RX6800)
Raster (Single GPU) : 6726 (GeForce GTX1070)

I have reported the low performance issue from AMD software.

Benchmark is running a different version and so your results are not comparable with the V1.9 measurements. Therefore, it's likely it's scoring or measuring GPU differently, not that your performance is necessarily diminished. I'm getting about 10K single/up to 7000 combined on a 3080, whereas before I was getting as high as 22K single. If you go one post up, you can see my old results. My performance is better overall in V2 as far as I can tell.

I actually tested the 3900X at some point on V1 on the same setup.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%

2 hours ago, debraspicher said:

Benchmark is running a different version and so your results are not comparable with the V1.9 measurements. Therefore, it's likely it's scoring or measuring GPU differently, not that your performance is necessarily diminished. I'm getting about 10K single/up to 7000 combined on a 3080, whereas before I was getting as high as 22K single. If you go one post up, you can see my old results. My performance is better overall in V2 as far as I can tell.

I actually tested the 3900X at some point on V1 on the same setup.

Hi,

My results are on same version of Affinity Photo V2 2.0.0.1640.

I have some PCs.

Ryzen 9 3900X/64GB 3200MHz/Radeon RX6800

Ryzen 5 1600AF/32GB 2666MHz/GeForce GTX 1070

7014E3A5-90F6-423F-8DF6-A13D9A068D36.png

10D20900-9B50-420B-B75A-3FB3775F4425.png

1 hour ago, Doteya said:

Hi,

My results are on same version of Affinity Photo V2 2.0.0.1640.

I have some PCs.

Ryzen 9 3900X/64GB 3200MHz/Radeon RX6800

あぁ、ごめん。真実にスコアを読み違えてに

V1ではもっと早いCPUに変えるたびにCPUシングルもGPUスコアとも増やすと習って来ました。それでCPUこそGPUスコアのために大切そう。こうにV2は似ているか知りません。と言っても3600Xは900スコアが確かに低すぎる。

Monitor 2 4K @ 150%

I wonder if y'all run something like GPU-Z while running the benchmark/application, does it actually utilize the GPU?

I have a 5000 series card, I'm considering installing it in another rig we have to test.

Monitor 2 4K @ 150%