You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AMD Radeon RX Hardware Acceleration

UPDATE

Partially solved with the last update of the RX590 drivers, published 1-2 days ago.

I say Partially because deactivating the use of the GPU, the three packages of Affinity: work.

By activating it, some hiccup is still occurring and it's frequent. not workable.

Now it's your time to release a real working packages with AMD.

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Thorsten Photo Worker said:

Not nice that the hardware acceleration with update 1.10.3 still doesn't work with my AMD Radeon RX 5700XT. I hope you can get it under control one day. Obviously, the focus depends on it. After the RAW development, the sharpness is out of the picture again.

If I understand what you mean, that does not sound like something that would be the fault of not having hardware acceleration. Hardware accelerated or not, the sharpness of the Developed images should be the same.

Have you discussed that problem elsewhere in the Questions or Bugs forums? There could be a bug, or there could be a user error, so I would start with Questions if it's not already discussed somewhere else.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 10/26/2021 at 8:55 PM, walt.farrell said:

If I understand what you mean, that does not sound like something that would be the fault of not having hardware acceleration. Hardware accelerated or not, the sharpness of the Developed images should be the same.

Have you discussed that problem elsewhere in the Questions or Bugs forums? There could be a bug, or there could be a user error, so I would start with Questions if it's not already discussed somewhere else.

It's a bug. Somewhere in the forum I read Serif is studying a solution for such bug that it seems due  AMD.
Meanwhile AMD released several drivers updates. But Affinity still buggy . Now it's better, but not fully solved.

:51_scream: I still get the error.. is there a solution?
I'm on:
AMD studio drivers 21.Q3
Affinity suite version: 1.10.4.1198
WIN:
Edition    Windows 10 Pro
Version    21H1
Installed on    ‎07/‎01/‎2021
OS build    19043.1320
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

Screenshot 2021-11-08 130122.png

4 minutes ago, lukeslab said:

:51_scream: I still get the error.. is there a solution?
I'm on:
AMD studio drivers 21.Q3
Affinity suite version: 1.10.4.1198
WIN:
Edition    Windows 10 Pro
Version    21H1
Installed on    ‎07/‎01/‎2021
OS build    19043.1320
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

I don't think you read the opening post. Otherwise you would not have had to ask the question.

With AMD graphics cards of the 5000 series and newer there are (speed) problems with the real-time compilation of OpenCL code.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

48 minutes ago, Komatös said:

I don't think you read the opening post. Otherwise you would not have had to ask the question.

With AMD graphics cards of the 5000 series and newer there are (speed) problems with the real-time compilation of OpenCL code.

Sorry but I've read it and a few things here:
- Opening post is from Feb 2021 (nov it's novemeber)
- Opening post claims this as temporary BUG
- 21.Q3 drivers were updated on September 15th by AMD
So I belive there is some space for an update on the situation.

Edited by lukeslab

30 minutes ago, lukeslab said:

Sorry but I've read it and a few things here:
- Opening post is from Feb 2021 (nov it's novemeber)
- Opening post claims this as temporary BUG
- 21.Q3 drivers were updated on September 15th by AMD
So I belive there is some space for an update on the situation.

If there was a solution, it would have been communicated in the initial posting.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

@lukeslab, I am also watching the AMD graphics driver releases.  Not one of them to date has mentioned OpenCL so it's presuambly still under consideration by AMD.  There's probably little Serif can do to speed things up.  There is a post where this problem has been reported to AMD: https://community.amd.com/t5/opencl/slow-kernel-compilation-speed-clbuildprogram-with-radeon-5700-xt/td-p/448144.   The last update in that post from AMD was 16/02/2021.  @Mark Ingram says that Serif is in touch with AMD, dated 02/07/2021.

It's incredibly frustrating but there it is.  The error message from APhoto could be more helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2021 at 8:25 PM, Subclavius said:

@lukeslab, I am also watching the AMD graphics driver releases.  Not one of them to date has mentioned OpenCL so it's presuambly still under consideration by AMD.  There's probably little Serif can do to speed things up.  There is a post where this problem has been reported to AMD: https://community.amd.com/t5/opencl/slow-kernel-compilation-speed-clbuildprogram-with-radeon-5700-xt/td-p/448144.   The last update in that post from AMD was 16/02/2021.  @Mark Ingram says that Serif is in touch with AMD, dated 02/07/2021.

It's incredibly frustrating but there it is.  The error message from APhoto could be more helpful.

Yes they are in touch but nothing is at the moment touched 😛 I still have issue with my Radeon. Ok it's not the suepr-duper card, but it should work. It doen't.  Let's still hope and see

• 2 weeks later...

Guten Morgen

es gibt jetzt mehrere Anfragen, wann es eine Verbesserung geben wird. Entweder kam lange Zeit nichts oder es wurde immer gesagt, womit man in Kontakt steht. Es sind jetzt mehr als 9 Monate. Ich habe für Software bezahlt, die nicht wie versprochen funktioniert. Mein Workaround sieht so aus. Auf dem IPAD Affinity Photo and Designer. Auf dem PC ist Photo/Designer/Publisher nicht brauchbar, sobald ich größere Bilder in hoher Auflösung verwende, friert das Bild ein und ich kann mir einen Kaffee holen. Also musste ich in den sauren Apfel beißen und die Adobe Clound-Anwendungen wieder kaufen.

Also hätte ich gerne etwas von dem Geld zurück, das ich für die Programme auf dem PC bezahlt habe. Sind nur eingeschränkt nutzbar. Bitte lassen Sie es mich wissen.

Alles Gute

On 11/18/2021 at 3:10 AM, Rafael Rivera said:

Had to disable OpenCL acceleration to get Affinity Photo to stop crashing. RTX 3090. Just throwing this out there, just in case your software-only logic is missing a GPU model/sku.

Already did times earlier. Nothing. Still have the issue. Hence my interventions here in this thread.

1 hour ago, ziplock9000 said:

No it wouldn't. If you look at this thread, any updates from staff are additional later posts not an edit to the original.

Then there is no solution!  And the support staff hasn't all information. And some info's are not for the public. 

The problem child is AMD, the OpenCL drivers react slower with RX5000s/6000s GPUs than with GPUs of previous model series; and AMD prefers to optimise their drivers for games.

Unfortunately, the workstation drivers for AMD's workstation graphics cards do not work with the gaming graphics cards.

Hopefully the upcoming Intel dGPUs working well.

Just now, Komatös said:

The problem child is AMD, the OpenCL drivers react slower with RX5000s/6000s GPUs than with GPUs of previous model series; and AMD prefers to optimise their drivers for games.

Unfortunately, the workstation drivers for AMD's workstation graphics cards do not work with the gaming graphics cards.

Hopefully the upcoming Intel dGPUs working well.

Why are you resorting to personal insults now calling me a 'child' ?

Yes the pertinent parts of those details were already made available on this thread.

1 minute ago, ziplock9000 said:

Why are you resorting to personal insults now calling me a 'child' ?

Yes the pertinent parts of those details were already made available on this thread.

I didn't mean you by problem child, but AMD

In German, Problemkind (Problem Child) means a person, object or circumstance that causes problems.

It was never my intention to insult anyone here.

For what it is worth, I as a lifelong unilingual Anglophone read "The problem child is AMD, the OpenCL ...." as referring to AMD as the Problem child.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.