You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AMD Radeon RX Hardware Acceleration

Hi there, new user in here, well I too have the problem with not being able to enable the OpenCL on Windows 10 Pro, the GPU is a bit old R7 370, does that mean that it's not supported? Also I still receive the message "Hardware Acceleration requires Windows 10.0.19042 (may 2020)...." and my current system is Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19042, what seems to be the problem ?

OpenCL.jpg

1 hour ago, Emilio Savov said:

I too have the problem with not being able to enable the OpenCL on Windows 10 Pro, the GPU is a bit old R7 370, does that mean that it's not supported? Also I still receive the message "Hardware Acceleration requires Windows 10.0.19042 (may 2020)...." and my current system is Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19042, what seems to be the problem ?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

If you have the right Windows release (as you do, from that message), then the issue can only be that the GPU does not support the necessary functions, or (for the newer AMD Radeon GPUs) that it supports the functions but so poorly that Serif has disabled the function.

Please run the dxdiag command from a command prompt and give us a screenshot of the Display tab.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi!
So we are after couple AMD Radeon updates, this bug is still there? When did you guys check last time?
Can you be more precise what about is the bug, I might have possibility and try to ask AMD about that more "directly"...

And please do not take it offensive, I do not try to be snarky or anything but, umm I have few other programs that use OpenCL, and as far as I know they do work on RX6800XT fine, so are you 100% sure it is not some bug or "fancy implementation" on your side? You know because this issue is a few months in the air, and we are waiting, maybe if you are 100% sure it is an AMD issue, Serif could start poking and pressing Red Team a bit harder?  Users of both companies are the victims here, and I'm quite sure people who have this issue are getting a bit impatient and disappointed.

Peace and Best Regards!
Lukas

Good day from Germany,

I know get on it no answer or only again, practice you in patience. Must get rid of it, is just to laugh.

How is the status now after 4 1/2 months with the contact to AMD? So from the next UPDATE no graphics cards with the older architecture versions of the Graphics Core Next (GCN), as well as the affected series HD 7000/8000 no longer supported. (https://www.heise.de/news/Spielergrafikkarten-AMD-und-Nvidia-beenden-Treiber-Support-vieler-GPUs-6115492.html)

Switching off the hardware acceleration should not affect the workflow. But had, hab Paid like everyone else and do not get this, because and this you have to melt on the tongue. Since it was not managed in 19 months (+ 4 months = 23 months) to program the OPEN-CL interface. The RX 5700 xt has come on 07.07.2019 on the market. In this time one could have possibly hired an employee who can do this or employee schools.

Live long and in peace.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

43 minutes ago, DenisD84 said:

Good day from Germany,

I know get on it no answer or only again, practice you in patience. Must get rid of it, is just to laugh.

How is the status now after 4 1/2 months with the contact to AMD? So from the next UPDATE no graphics cards with the older architecture versions of the Graphics Core Next (GCN), as well as the affected series HD 7000/8000 no longer supported. (https://www.heise.de/news/Spielergrafikkarten-AMD-und-Nvidia-beenden-Treiber-Support-vieler-GPUs-6115492.html)

Switching off the hardware acceleration should not affect the workflow. But had, hab Paid like everyone else and do not get this, because and this you have to melt on the tongue. Since it was not managed in 19 months (+ 4 months = 23 months) to program the OPEN-CL interface. The RX 5700 xt has come on 07.07.2019 on the market. In this time one could have possibly hired an employee who can do this or employee schools.

Live long and in peace.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

You are right, 

Adobe Photoshop has already a OpenCL Support and the Grafik acceleration with my RX6800x works fine.

But i have already paid for this Software and i hope this will be fix soon as posible. 

Well, this is the point, OpenCL works fine on RX6000, only application that I found that is not is Affinity Photo so far, and this is for months.
Maybe it is not a big problem if you're working with some smaller projects or some designs, or your family vacations photos or something, but when you have 8 or 12K photos/renders waiting for some filters and operations adds up, and you're waiting, and waiting for calculations.

Serif, please do check do still the problem exist with the newest drivers, if yes push AMD to fix it if it is actually a problem on their side.

Best Regards!
Lukas

Good day from Germany,

What about Team Serif, when do we finally get the hardware acceleration. Have paid for it, for a performance that is not available to us. This now for 4 3/4 months.

Since 3 months no information on the part of Serif, that has nothing to do with customer friendliness. But with silence of a problem.

I really feel like I'm being taken for a ride.

Windows
Hardware

Windows PC (64-bit) with mouse or equivalent input device
    Hardware acceleration via GPU*
    Graphics card compatible with DirectX 10 and higher versions (RX 6800 XT DirectX 12_2 Ultimate)
    At least 2 GB RAM (4 GB RAM recommended) = (16 GB VRAM)
    934 MB available hard disk space; additional space required during installation = 1 TB SSD NVW PCI 3.0
    Display size of 1280 x 768 or higher = WQHD 2440 x 1440

* Requires:

- Windows 10 with the April 2020 update (or newer version).  
    - Graphics card capable of handling Direct3D Level 12.0

Where does it say what AMD graphics cards are not supported from NAVI onwards, if you look through this when you buy it?

Hardware Serif Windows.png

it is really strange and unbelievable, that at least after 4 months or more, there is no hardwareacceleration available - although promised from SERIFLABS!

-especially when acceleration works for older GPUs like thr RX 580 ...

There should have been more than pushing the problem to AMD and its driver. There should be a cooperation between SERIFlabs and AMD, to find a solution for all the disappointed users, who bought actual GPUs. That's not the way I understand "support"; this is "leaving me alone" with the problem.

Good evening,

I'm curious if the admins will answer here at all?

Well, maybe the fault lies with AMD, but the RX 5700 XT has been on the market since 07.07.2019 and in the time until the update in February 2021 what happened? It annoys me that they don't manage to adjust the system requirements accordingly and point it out. That the acceleration under the AMD cards from the generation 5xxx or higher is not supported.

Affinity products probably don't need any RAM either, the specifications are missing as well.

If I go by the system requirements, I expect the performance to be in € and reflected in the product. A software that does not work 100% is not acceptable after 4 months.

Good night...

Only info about GPU requirements available is this: Direct3D level 12.0-capable card, but what about OpenCL?
Is it 1.1, 1.2, 2.0 or maybe 2.1? Because AMD drivers for Radeon cards are 1.2 via. GPUCapsViewer but GPU is 2.0 capable via. GpuZ, Radeon PRO are 2.1 capable as far as I know.
Is this is all about? You are requiring above 1.2 in Photo? Which one exactly?
Are you able to provide clear information to the public what causing issues in the OpenCL from AMD Drivers?

In another four months we can programme it ourselves. No....not my job and not by us users either. I would be happy if the problem could be solved. I just don't see the will.

If everyone had the problem now and not just the new ones who got an AMD card, what would happen at Serif?

We are customers and would also like to help our friends, business partners and the community and also have fun with the purchased product.

In any case, I will send the problem to Computerbase, Heise and Golem. Maybe it will help if the technical press writes about it.

Live long and prosper

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

sorry for the maybe silly question, but this wasn't clear to me from the discussion on 1.10 Beta revisions:

HW acceleration on AMD RX 5xxx and newer is not expected to work on 1.10, right?

Just want to exclude, that something else is wrong on my side.

Thanks and Regards

1 hour ago, MrSwitch said:

HW acceleration on AMD RX 5xxx and newer is not expected to work on 1.10, right?

Correct. Serif is still waiting for a fix from AMD for their driver issues.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Ok it seems I got this when I update to 1.10.0

As I highlighted here: 

However, downgrading to 1.9 I have nto issues like the one I highlighted.
So I do suggest, for who has the same hardware, don't update from the 1.9 on, till the moment the issue is solved.

WARNING: to downdate, you need to uninstall the package and to install the previous version.

Hence you will loose all what you installed as extensions like: brushes, textures etc.

• 1 month later...
On 8/7/2021 at 6:21 AM, Tormy said:

Ok it seems I got this when I update to 1.10.0

As I highlighted here: 

However, downgrading to 1.9 I have not issues like the one I highlighted.
So I do suggest, for who has the same hardware, don't update from the 1.9 on, till the moment the issue is solved.

WARNING: to downdate, you need to uninstall the package and to install the previous version.

Hence you will loose all what you installed as extensions like: brushes, textures etc.

This lack of HWA was there in 1.9 as well.  Some people may have to go back further to get it to work again, which means they will end up introducing bug regressions as they will be uninstalling lots of bug fixes.

1 hour ago, Trensharo said:

This lack of HWA was there in 1.9 as well.  Some people may have to go back further to get it to work again

Hardware acceleration on Windows was new with 1.9, so going back further will not get it for anyone. 

-- Walt
PC:

I guess the lack of HWA is not a big problem for average user. If your files are small, all the calculations are done nice and fast on CPU, problem is with all the big files where the operations (filters etc.) can work faster with GPU, only speed is here an issue not the quality of work.
But for now we're still waiting for AMD move in that regard.

20 minutes ago, Trensharo said:

Doesn't fix the issue of bug regressions downgrading to that version.

HWA do not work on Radeon Cards in Photo, before 1.9.x it was not there so do not worked either. After 1.9.x+ so far it is there but unable to work with because of OpenCL bug/implementation in Radeon drivers. Affinity Photo work well, and all new benefits from 1.9.x and 1.10.x, works well but without HWA - so just slower in some cases.

On 9/24/2021 at 2:39 PM, slizgi said:

HWA do not work on Radeon Cards in Photo, before 1.9.x it was not there so do not worked either. After 1.9.x+ so far it is there but unable to work with because of OpenCL bug/implementation in Radeon drivers. Affinity Photo work well, and all new benefits from 1.9.x and 1.10.x, works well but without HWA - so just slower in some cases.

I didn't get any benefit even from the very last version of Affinity nor the last version of the Radeon Driver. I'm stick in the older Affinity version. Not clue if they ever will solve this issue. new versions are not usable to me. Even disabling GPU ...

6 hours ago, Tormy said:

I didn't get any benefit even from the very last version of Affinity nor the last version of the Radeon Driver. I'm stick in the older Affinity version. Not clue if they ever will solve this issue. new versions are not usable to me. Even disabling GPU ...

I am not happy about lack of hardware acceleration too, because theoretically I'm loosing time. Beyond HWA there is no other problems in new versions. Why new versions are not usable to you - both 1.9.x and 1.10.x should work fine + have new features, there is no HWA, which you did not have in 1.8.x either? Or I am missing something, and you have some other issues with 1.9.x and 1.10.x, and you are unable to work with it. Did you report what is not working for you? Maybe too old pc?

On 9/26/2021 at 11:10 PM, slizgi said:

I am not happy about lack of hardware acceleration too, because theoretically I'm loosing time. Beyond HWA there is no other problems in new versions. Why new versions are not usable to you - both 1.9.x and 1.10.x should work fine + have new features, there is no HWA, which you did not have in 1.8.x either? Or I am missing something, and you have some other issues with 1.9.x and 1.10.x, and you are unable to work with it. Did you report what is not working for you? Maybe too old pc?

Hi  Slizgi

I did explain the reason on a post I opened since the version 1.10. It freezes the computer at random interval and with random time.

Please here the topic: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/147135-installed-version-1100-pc-freezes/

With or without the use of the GPU.

NOT usable at all. Perhaps your machine is different than mine. There is not a "universal machine" 🙂

I had to roll back to pervious version ora I can't use th package (nor Photo, nor Designer anything)
And it doesn't wem they tackled the issue in the recent update at all.

RADEON RX590 is my video Card

P.S; also above, in a previous answer, I posted what's occurring.
I' wondering WHY should you ask "why for me it's not usable", when it's evident ...