You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Latest version Affinity update exe

It might help to have a screenshot of the exact error message, @evansmr1.

But if it's coming from Windows Defender you should be able to disable that in your Windows Security settings.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The "Unknown publisher" is odd, and leads me to think the download might not have been complete, or might be corrupted.

Find the .exe file in File Explorer, right-click on it, and choose Properties.

1. In the Properties dialog, do you have a tab labeled DIgital Signatures? If not, the download was not complete or was corrupted.
  2. If it has that tab, there should be two entries signed by Serif.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The "Unknown publisher" is odd, and leads me to think the download might not have been complete, or might be corrupted.

Find the .exe file in File Explorer, right-click on it, and choose Properties.

1. In the Properties dialog, do you have a tab labeled DIgital Signatures? If not, the download was not complete or was corrupted.
  2. If it has that tab, there should be two entries signed by Serif.

Click on one of the entries on the ‘Digital Signatures’ tab and press the ’Details’ button to check that the digital signature is OK.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

8 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Click on one of the entries on the ‘Digital Signatures’ tab and press the ’Details’ button to check that the digital signature is OK.

My understanding is that if the signatures are not correct the entire Digital Signatures tab will be missing. But perhaps that is incorrect :)

-- Walt
PC:

I have downloaded a further 3 times, the first two reported that they were not exe files. The last one completed the install. I checked properties and there was no TAB for Digital Signature.

I have turned off ALL windows security, my own Anti virus and firewall prior to downloading 

I received this message when attempting to install

image.png.e7ced918d11d950c0e3a5884c3925fed.png

I also noted the when downloading the file size showed as 527 mb and the Affinity  site bar for 9.1 displayed the size as 552.34.

To date I have attempted to download the file 7 times, 2 ended up with the file showing as exe.

Note: I have not taken a WIn10 upgrade for 18 months. 

Advice would be much appreciated

20 minutes ago, evansmr1 said:

I checked properties and there was no TAB for Digital Signature.

That means the downloads are not working properly.

Perhaps you should try a different browser. What one have you been using so far?

22 minutes ago, evansmr1 said:

Note: I have not taken a WIn10 upgrade for 18 months. 

Why not?

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, evansmr1 said:

I use Microsoft Edge.

You might try a different browser; I suggest Firefox.

Or possibly the issue is with your antivirus program.

I have not had any win10 upgrade  for 18 months because I am fed up with errors and having to carry out a restore and instisting I stop work whilst Win10 upgrade.

Thanks. My experience does not match yours. I have had no issues from Win 10 updates on either of my machines.

-- Walt
PC:

win10 is possibly the worst operating system ever. It is so bad that it will not let me download the latest Affinity photo upgrade. No product should be that dictatorial, warn yes. Bring back XP. Even Win 3.1 was better. My next laptop will not have the MS operating system. Never again. I have had so many problems .

I am now resigned to not having the upgrade.

13 minutes ago, evansmr1 said:

It is so bad that it will not let me download the latest Affinity photo upgrade

Is the problem Win 10 or is it your antivirus program?

Are you getting some symptom other than the corrupted download?

Did you try a different browser?

-- Walt
PC:

I disabled antivirus I disabled firewall I change browser. Still Windows 10 gives me the error and will not let me override it.

No other symptoms, after the download is completed I receive the error as it tries to install. If I just permit a download only at the completion I am advised the the file is corrupt and should be removed.

See:

Update your Windows 10 system and afterwards check for possible too old or corrupted Visual C++ Redistributable Packages (Method 3 in above linked hint).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Have had no issues with Edge and Win 10 downloading the latest Affinity updates (Photo, Publisher, and Designer) and all worked fine on the upgrade. 

If you're on a non-updated Win 10 you might still be using "Old Edge" which was not great. Latest Edge is for intents and purposes Chrome. So there should be no benefit switching. Could also try something like FreeDownloadManager - gives a more robust download environment if browsers are failing.

Good luck

I have tried all the above.

I have used now 4 different browsers. Today I have downloaded 3 times from the message when opening Affinity and 3 times from the Affinity site (My downloads)

Each time the file appears to download the correct size. The last 6 downloads have all saved with no errors, but when I run the the file, even as Administrator, I get 

image.png.2bf169f3ad8b3c85f7e5868a3aa1e94c.png

I have searched the suggested exe and followed all the instructions including running DISM.exe  etc. No errors. When checking the file properties there is no Digital Signature tab.

Other software that I have downloaded very recently does have the  Digital Signature TAB. I have run a number of times the latest version of System Mechanic, which I have used for the past 10 or more years.

I am now out of options.

2 minutes ago, evansmr1 said:

I am now out of options.

Have you tried right-clicking the link and choosing to open it in a new tab?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, evansmr1 said:

I am now out of options.

Well, there's the obvious one of updating your Win 10 installation. I've lost count of the number of users who have thought they had an Affinity problem,, and it was fixed by reinstalling or updating Windows. As long as you make sure you have a System Restore point established first, you should be able to get back to your old version if you really need to.

The only other thought I have is that perhaps someone from Serif could produce a .zip version of the installer and share that with you. That might allow you to get a completely correct download.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

Hi @evansmr1,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue when trying to download and install the latest Affinity update - I note that you have tried many methods and these have thus far provided the same results for you.

Can you please confirm for me, have you tried downloading this .EXE file on a different computer and then transfer the file manually to your Windows machine?

I ask this as I have had reports of other users experiencing the 'Side-by-side' error you're seeing and they downloaded the file on a separate computer, then transferred this file to their PC and the app could then be updated as expected.

If you don't have a second computer, I've also seen reports of this working by downloading the file to a tablet or mobile phone, then connecting this to the PC with a data cable to transfer the file across.

Please do let us know if this is something you can try and if it helps - if not I can certainly try providing a 'ZIP' version of the .exe file, as Walt has mentioned above :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

By downloading the 9.1 to a different folder, as advised. I will investigate why the default folder did not work.

Interesting. Glad it worked.

Where were you downloading originally, and what finally worked?

-- Walt
PC: