You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Updating via Mac App store fails

Okay, the Johnannes solution worked for me, but I'd really like to ditch any updates via App Store. Since I have genuinely purchased Photo, I just wonder if Affinity could offer the option to download the app from their site with a free registration key. Otherwise, I think I may end up with the same problem again. And as someone noted, Affinity Photo at one stage was only available via the App Store. So, I don't think my suggestion is unreasonable.

11 minutes ago, petrusg said:

What does killing the appstore agent mean?

Open your Mac's Activity Monitor and look for 'appstoreagent' in the list of activities. Double-click on it and click on Force Quit. Then re-start App Store. In my case, Photo had already been updated to v1.9.1 and that is why I think App Store couldn't update Photo app. 

2 hours ago, CatonaPC© said:

Since I have genuinely purchased Photo, I just wonder if Affinity could offer the option to download the app from their site with a free registration key.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

There is definately a bug with the Mac App Store on Mojave 10.14.6

I tried downloading the updates to Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher yesterday almost as soon as they were available.

The updates seemed to be hanging - even after around 30 minutes  so I decided to quit Mac App Store and try again today.

However, today when I launched the MAS my Affinity products weren't available to update - only to download (even though they are already installed).

I then killed the "appstoreagent" task and relaunched MAS.

I'm now seeing all three Affinity apps available to update but once again the update process seems to be hanging.

This is very frustrating! I've never had this issue before with updating apps before...

Screenshot MAS.png

Screenshot 2021-02-26 at 15.22.56.png

Yes, same here. But MoXom, what worked for me was launching the App Store and while being in the App Store, killing the agent. Definitely worth a try because it worked here.

This having said, I’m a little bit disappointed in Serif, because they state that switching software between Mac App Store and Affinity is definitely a no go.

That’s definitely sad and hopeless :/

32 minutes ago, petrusg said:

...what worked for me was launching the App Store and while being in the App Store, killing the agent....

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately this didn't work for me.

I even restarted my computer but the updates just hang...

1 hour ago, MoXoM said:

There is definately a bug with the Mac App Store on Mojave 10.14.6

I tried downloading the updates to Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher yesterday almost as soon as they were available.

The updates seemed to be hanging - even after around 30 minutes  so I decided to quit Mac App Store and try again today.

However, today when I launched the MAS my Affinity products weren't available to update - only to download (even though they are already installed).

I then killed the "appstoreagent" task and relaunched MAS.

I'm now seeing all three Affinity apps available to update but once again the update process seems to be hanging.

This is very frustrating! I've never had this issue before with updating apps before...

Screenshot MAS.png

Screenshot 2021-02-26 at 15.22.56.png

Same here. All App Store updates are just hanging there, not updating. It's not just the Affinity software.

Ok - so having left the MAS for about an hour it now looks like Affinity Photo has updated to version 1.9.1!

I'm now updating Designer and Publisher.

The update status still looks like it is hanging - hopefully it will both apps will update.

I guess I'll just have to be patient..

Screenshot 2021-02-26 at 18.49.26.png

The trick with killing the appstoreagent does work, but you have to FORCE-kill it while the update process is running.

Go to Applications > Utilities > Activity monitor > start activity monitor.

Go to the app store  > log in.
Click the update button for the application you want to update.
In case of more than 1 update, click "update All".
Update icon starts spinning.

Go back to Activity monitor
Find the appstoreagent process
Force-kill the appstoreagent process.When it's gone,
Go back to the Appstore
Click the update button again (it's still spinning, but click it anyway).

This is a workaround solution, NOT a permanent fix.

When updating again, you'll have to shutdown the computer, start again and do the whole process again.

34 minutes ago, catlover said:

The trick with killing the appstoreagent does work, but you have to FORCE-kill it while the update process is running.

Go to Applications > Utilities > Activity monitor > start activity monitor.

Go to the app store  > log in.
Click the update button for the application you want to update.
In case of more than 1 update, click "update All".
Update icon starts spinning.

Go back to Activity monitor
Find the appstoreagent process
Force-kill the appstoreagent process.When it's gone,
Go back to the Appstore
Click the update button again (it's still spinning, but click it anyway).

This is a workaround solution, NOT a permanent fix.

When updating again, you'll have to shutdown the computer, start again and do the whole process again.

Thanks - that worked! Publisher and Designer are finally updating as expected.

There was about a 30 second delay between me clicking the update button again and the apps actually updating...

Screenshot 2021-02-26 at 19.45.06.png

41 minutes ago, CatonaPC© said:

I never said I wanted to switch. I want to delete my App Store copy of Photo for one I download direct from Affinity with product key.

And isn't this "switching" from one type of store to another? However, I assume that Serif's statement is sufficiently clear and logical. Because these are two completely independent sales channels of two independent companies, it is not possible to switch (you can call it whatever you want) from one to another.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

2 hours ago, CatonaPC© said:

I want to delete my App Store copy of Photo for one I download direct from Affinity with product key. I'd be even prepared to pay a small fee for it.

To delete your App Store copy: in Finder, go to your Applications folder, drag it to the Bin, confirm you want to delete it, and empty the Bin. Alternatively, in Launchpad, hold down on the application icon until it starts to jiggle, and then click the cross in the top left-hand corner.

To download direct from Affinity with product key, create an account on the Affinity Store and buy it. The 'small fee' will be the current purchase price.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

On 2/27/2021 at 10:12 AM, Pšenda said:

I assume that Serif's statement is sufficiently clear and logical.

No it isn't, to me.

On 2/27/2021 at 10:12 AM, Pšenda said:

it is not possible to switch (you can call it whatever you want) from one to another.

Yes, it is. I just did it. Fortunately @h_d, alerted me to the fact of the 'small fee'. I would have preferred to pay nothing for a product key. As far as I am concerned, what channel I used to download a product doesn't change the fact that I'm Serif's customer. I also have Publisher (purchased directly from them). To me, having all my products under one account is better than having it split between two entities. And I think, in all fairness, as a customer from almost the very beginning, I could have been accorded a complimentary product key. 

1 hour ago, CatonaPC© said:

And I think, in all fairness, as a customer from almost the very beginning, I could have been accorded a complimentary product key

Thing is that when you buy any software from Apple or Microsoft, you are their customer, not Serif's. Apple/MS transfer a proportion of the purchase price to Serif (minus marketing, distribution, tax...) and Serif benefit from world-wide distribution, marketing and sales networks that they couldn't hope to emulate themselves.

But Apple and Microsoft don't pass on customer details to the software developers, so even if they wanted to (for sentimental reasons or whatever), Serif couldn't transfer your Apple/Microsoft licence key to their own store, let alone turn you into a marketing prospect.

However, consider the case of extra content (brushes, overlays, backgrounds, macros...) 

Serif could have gone down the road of in-app purchases from the Apple/MS stores for this,  but right now they ask for an optional registration to their own store for all the extra goodies. And this is a smart move, because it gives them direct access to customers who have bought their products from the Apple/Microsoft stores.

For example: I bought Photo and Designer from the Apple App Store, and Publisher from the Serif Store. I thus have an account with Serif. When Photo 1.9.0 offered me free content (fog, snow, clouds etc) I logged in to my Serif account and downloaded them. Serif now know that I have Photo, even though I didn't buy it from them. And they can target their marketing accordingly.

Prime example of British ingenuity...

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

20 minutes ago, h_d said:

right now they ask for an optional registration to their own store for all the extra goodies. And this is a smart move, because it gives them direct access to customers who have bought their products from the Apple/Microsoft stores

My understanding was that upon registering my App Store copy of Photo, I'd get any updates direct from Serif. It appears, this is what occurred after registration when my copy was updated to 1.9.1. The email from the Affinity Team read in part (my emphasis in red) -

Head over to our website to learn all about 1.9 and download today (free for current app owners). You’ll also get a range of incredible free content with your download after you register your app, including brushes, textures, overlays and templates, so don’t miss out!

A week or so later, Apple's App Store attempted to update to v1.9.1 at which point I assumed it was just hanging because I already had v1.9.1.

So, the whole exercise confused me.

28 minutes ago, CatonaPC© said:

My understanding was that upon registering my App Store copy of Photo, I'd get any updates direct from Serif.

If you bought your original application from the Apple App Store, then you will get your application updates from the Apple App Store.

It's that simple.  If (and only if)  you register your Apple App Store purchase and ownership with Serif, then you will have access to any free content (incredible or otherwise)  that Serif choose to distribute.