[By Design] No more functions by tapping

My current Version is 1.9.0. Before the Update, it was possible to make a selection, make the selection bigger or smaller, and then tap to get to different function like copy, reverse selection, delete etc.

Now taping doesn’t work anymore. Just a blue point/Cursor shows up. I have to click myself trough the Menues to access these functions.

Now Tapping is workin only right after making a selection. But if you work on the selection, like making it bigger, or fuzzier, tapping, doesn’t work anymore.

Can I solve this or ist this a bug? Thank you.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Bullfrog. :)

I don’t think merely tapping has ever worked for me! You need to ‘long press’ (i.e. press and hold) to display the popup menu.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows 1.9.2 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.9.2 • Designer for iPad 1.9.2 • iPadOS 14.4.2 (iPad Air 2)

Hi Alfred, thank you for your fast response. By „tapping“ I mean, what you describe as „long pressing“. Sorry, English is not my mother Language.

I know how to do it. It worked just fine before the Update.

Again, with an example: I want to exchange the Sky in a Picture.

A) I select the Sky and „press long“. A menue with different Options appears. Just how it should.

B) I select the Sky and go to the Icons on the left Side to make the selected area bigger, or fuzzier. If I “press long” now, no Options appear at all.

18 hours ago, Bullfrog said:

I select the Sky and go to the Icons on the left Side to make the selected area bigger, or fuzzier. If I “press long” now, no Options appear at all.

Still works ok for me.

IPad Pro 10.5/512GB   lpadOS 14.4 Apple Pencil (1st gen), Affinity Photo 1.9.0.218,  Affinity Photo beta1.9, Affinity Design 1.9.3, Affinity Designer beta 1.9.20, still waiting for Publisher for iPad

Thank for your Reply DM1.

I was hoping it would work, after upgrading just minutes ago to 1.9.1. But the Problems remains, as you can se on the clip I just made.

A) selecting Sky> tap and hold> menue appears like it should.

B) selecting Sky> enlarge the selected area> tap and hold> nothing happens=no menue appears.

Your Example, by cutting and moving and then tap and hold to get the menues is no problem for me either.

But as soon as I manipulate the selection by making it bigger or fuzzier (with the Icons on the left side), taping and holding doesn’t trigger menues anymore.

13 hours ago, Bullfrog said:

But as soon as I manipulate the selection by making it bigger or fuzzier (with the Icons on the left side), taping and holding doesn’t trigger menues anymore.

They work for me. Can you attach sample photo. I notice your blue circle finger touch is not shrinking. That’s odd.

IPad Pro 10.5/512GB   lpadOS 14.4 Apple Pencil (1st gen), Affinity Photo 1.9.0.218,  Affinity Photo beta1.9, Affinity Design 1.9.3, Affinity Designer beta 1.9.20, still waiting for Publisher for iPad

Dear DM1
I changed the Menue to English, to make it easier to follow the steps on the new Clip I made. Again:

If I make a Selection and press-hold, the menue for Undo, Select all, Deselect, Reselect and Invert selection shows up, like it should.

However. If I make a Selection, then press-hold and first modify the Selection by Growing/Shrinking, Feathering or Smoothing, then apply, and then press-hold, the menue for Undue, Select etc. is not showing up anymore.

I’m pretty sure, this was no problem on the older Version.

...goin to the mountains for some days, so I can’t reply immediately. Have a nice week.

F29BEA38-DF90-429B-8816-BFAC9B90B399.jpeg

Hey Bullfrog, you are correct, the long press doesn't work as before, regardless of how many people say it works for them.  
You will notice that when the view/ hand tool is active you can not long press to bring up the menu.  

This has changed.  

DM1 tells you it works for him, and yes it does as long as any other tool is active.  

I have spent time trying to show the devs that this is a real issue especially when using the selection tool.  The end result is that the hand/view tool is active at the end of many processes and then you must switch tool to be able to access the long press or switch to the Selection persona to deselect.  
This process has been deemed "by design" and that the only reason for the view/hand tool is to manipulate the imagine.  
I am hoping that more people will speak out about this because it is not only inconvenient but not what one would expect from professional software.  

41 minutes ago, p_mac said:

You will notice that when the view/ hand tool is active you can not long press to bring up the menu.  

Hi p_mac, the issue raised by Bullfrog is that long press does not work for him/her, after selecting and using any of the 'selection adjustment' tools, not the View tool. Not the same issue? My internet access is very limited at the moment so I can’t check any videos to see what is happening.🙁

On 2/28/2021 at 7:59 PM, Bullfrog said:

If I make a Selection, then press-hold and first modify the Selection by Growing/Shrinking, Feathering or Smoothing, then apply, and then press-hold, the menue for Undue, Select etc. is not showing up anymore

So DM1, when you get your internet up and running, check out what these screenshots from Bullfrog’s videos and take note of when the long press brings up a menu and when it doesn’t.  

Apparently they wanted a tool that exclusively would not bring up the ‘long press menu”, that one being the view/hand tool that is only used to manipulate the movement of the the image.  I sent an email thru the “contact us” and Dan answered it with that message.  The View/Hand tool is to be used exclusively to manipulate the movement of the image and nothing else.   Many functions end up with the View/Hand tool active, then you need to make another tool active to deselect or use the pull down menu of the Selection Persona to deselect.   Here is this complex professional software that amazingly works on the iPad with this real lack of foresight with respect to the view/hand tool.  Needs to be changed back to what is originally was.  Very cumbersome.

Note:  Just for clarity when you see me point to the finger touch blue circle, I am aware that it take a finger lift for the menu to appear.  So that I am not loading more photos then necessary, I am just pointing you to the point of Hand/View tool active, long press does not trigger the pop-up menu.  You will see this when you view the vids.

IMG_1385.thumb.jpeg.ef3c7edc25e0d0e28037018a042ba5c6.jpeg

IMG_1387.thumb.jpeg.14397d6b5dfa7b7a061a3e0e1934e6c2.jpeg

IMG_1388.thumb.jpeg.57e8cd06c552948614b2619959e3058e.jpeg

Edited by p_mac
Note added
On 2/27/2021 at 2:28 PM, DM1 said:

They work for me. Can you attach sample photo. I notice your blue circle finger touch is not shrinking. That’s odd.

Hi DM1, here is a screen shot of your vid that explains what I am talking about.

I use selection a lot, and after I have completed what I am attempting to do I noted that I could not long press to deselect because for some reason it defaults to the Hand/View tool.  So I need to change tool (and as it is the closest tool to the hand/view tool I activate the move tool which sometimes actually moves the image, ticking me off, politely) or I need to use the pull down menu of the Selection Persona.  This happens more often than just replacing a sky.  

I was not incorrect bringing this up with Bullfrog's problem as it is exactly what I've been talking about for a long time, as well as others.  I have spent some time taking a look at this problem noting that there is an indicator of which tool is active.  They have moved this function into; not a problem, as defined. 

Screen_Shot_2021-03-01_at_2_00.28_PM.thumb.png.950816744a5c681ffc320e01d89bdc21.png

1 hour ago, p_mac said:

I was not incorrect bringing this up with Bullfrog's problem as it is exactly what I've been talking about for a long time, as well as others

Hi p_mac, thanks for the pics, I agree that you are correct. Bullfrog had indeed changed back to the View tool. I had tested only by switching to each of the selection tools in turn as I know that View tool does not allow this feature. As such, no issues were identified in my testing.

Using all the selection adjustment tools doesn’t switch you back to View, so that was a result of some other action by Bullfrog, intended or otherwise.

I have mixed views about how Affinity have set this feature up. On the one hand they have told us that View is just that, View only. Knowing that, I don’t have an issue switching to get menus back. On the other hand, not having menu access with View IS creating confusion for MANY users and as such it would be much easier if Affinity developers simply added View to allow menu access.

Hopefully mods will note the high levels of confusion and pass it back to the head developer for reconsideration. In the interim we can only make users aware of this current limitation.🤔

I'm holidaying in a remote coastal town where bushfires have damaged internet cables. Mobile internet is also affected. Slow and very intermittent 😩

Cheers

Dear p_mac and DM1. Thank you so much for working on my topic, while I layer back in the Swiss Mountains. I really appreciate your effort.

So, if I understand you correctly, there is no other way, but waiting for more Users, complaining about the same inconvenience to make the developers react...

For me, it’s a pity. I use Affinity Photo mainly, to make Photo Collages/Compositions. I make selections of interesting Objects and feather them to make smooth transitions. The best Objects I save as png File and put them in an Album, to use them later again.

best regards.

Hey Bullfrog, my suggestion is that they need to keep hearing from others then me.  I have been saying this since it first appeared in the beta, but it was moved to Solved: By Design. I have used the Contact Us that you will find in the 

that you will find under Home - News and Information, to send a personal email that was answered by Ben.  Or just follow the arrow in the top right corner.  The more people make this an issue, with more examples of how it wrecks workflow in a bunch of different techniques, hopefully it will be reverted back.  I, like you use selection/deselection quite a bit.  I use it to refine masks of very delicate areas because at time the Refine Functions doesn't work at all well and many others.  And as I have said it seems to default to the Hand/View tool.  The change just seems like an after thought. The hand/view tool seems like a very useless tool to me as one can magnify, turn, etc with every other tool.  

Edited by p_mac
activate link
8 minutes ago, Gabe said:

This change was deliberate

Understood, @Gabe, but it’s an unpopular decision!

On 3/1/2021 at 11:53 PM, DM1 said:

I have mixed views about how Affinity have set this feature up. On the one hand they have told us that View is just that, View only. Knowing that, I don’t have an issue switching to get menus back. On the other hand, not having menu access with View IS creating confusion for MANY users and as such it would be much easier if Affinity developers simply added View to allow menu access.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows 1.9.2 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.9.2 • Designer for iPad 1.9.2 • iPadOS 14.4.2 (iPad Air 2)