You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm new to Publisher and while I've been really impressed by it generally, I'm massively disappointed that there doesn't appear to be an optical kerning feature? I noticed several other (albeit older?) threads on here regarding optical kerning so I hope I'm right in saying that it currently isn't a feature on v1.9 and I've not been going mad looking for something that's hidden in plain sight?

Optical kerning is the one thing stopping me from swapping from Indesign to Publisher completely as it's a feature I use so often. Not everyone wants to manually kern every project (not every project needs it) and it's even more of a pain when you're not working in English.

I really hope they implement it soon, it doesn't really compete with Indesign without it.

(Also does anyone from Serif ever see the forums?)

2 hours ago, ETI said:

Also does anyone from Serif ever see the forums?

Haven't seen any posts from moderators yet? Maybe you should use and read the forum a bit first, see also the numerous requirements for Optical Kerning.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Optical+Kerning+site%3Aforum.affinity.serif.com

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

5 hours ago, ETI said:

(Also does anyone from Serif ever see the forums?)

Yes, but note that they generally do not comment in the Feedback forums. They look at the feature requests here, and use them for planning purposes, but interaction with the users is primarily in the other forums (questions, bugs, beta), not in Feature Requests & Suggestions.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 hours ago, HiroKhan said:

Can we at least get some kind of tags like "feature request seen", "feature request accepted", "in development" and "included in version x" or any update?

If you want to swamp the employees of Serif with a loadfull of work that keeps them from doing what they are supposed to do, then you are on the right track with this suggestion 😉

You may not know but Serif is monitoring this section of the forum and takes note of worthwile suggestions and ongoing disussions. They have indicated that they only rarely comment here but this does not mean that they are not around.

Just be patient and keep an eye on the beta release notes. This is where you find feedback about what is in development and will be included in the next version.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil