You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a reason why swatches (palettes) can’t be accessed?

Is it possible to access swatches from the context menu as shown below?

Of course I mean document palettes should be listed here shouldn’t they, logically?

If not, why not?

Thanks

C30B3C24-4862-49D8-A338-05D251C0CAD7.jpeg

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

24 minutes ago, ProDesigner said:

If not, why not?

Probably because ‘Swatches’ is a whole big section in the Colour Studio, with multiple categories, and it would get too unwieldy to have them all on a single dropdown list. As things stand, the colour chooser mode in the Pen Tool’s context toolbar initially matches the last mode selected in the Colour Studio.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 2/25/2021 at 9:49 PM, Alfred said:

Probably because ‘Swatches’ is a whole big section in the Colour Studio,.

Yeah, my illustration above should have shown the palettes instead - see below. After I posted it, I thought using the word ‘swatches’ would trip folks up.

And the pen tool does not always default to the last setting - only when the last layer is selected before drawing... or something like that.... still can’t  got my head around what this behaviour is, tbh. What I do I know is that it constantly switches back to some default setting and I have to stop drawing in order to go switch studios around so I can access my palette and pick the colour... again.... again.

I do not get the logic of restricting access to palettes set up expressly to use to make assigning colours to objects - quick! There feels to be something fundamental Serif don’t grasp here. The point of setting up a document palette is?

A document palette becomes THE palette for the document. (Meh). It takes priority over all other colour spaces. It’s the most irritating thing about Designer right now tbh.

C0A5F2FD-E5CA-4C46-B182-82F172D4E7FC.jpeg

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

23 minutes ago, ProDesigner said:

A document palette becomes THE palette for the document. (Meh). It takes priority over all other colour spaces. It’s the most irritating thing about Designer right now tbh.

A good point well made, as they say! Most of us can probably manage just fine without access to the full range of swatches, but we really should be able to choose colours from the document palette.

Alfred spacer.png

On 2/26/2021 at 10:45 PM, ProDesigner said:

The pen tool does not always default to the last setting - only when the last layer is selected before drawing... or something like that.... still can’t  got my head around what this behaviour is, tbh.

Re: Default stroke/fill setting on pen tool

Harrrr, still not sure how the behaviour above works, but I am sure I’m a numpty.

There’s so many nuances to this app, it’s easy to miss what then seems obvious once you see it.

I hadn’t twigged to the ‘use fill’ option staring at me in the context bar. Doh! My excuse is that it doesn’t reveal the other colour dot until you touch it, so that’s why I think I’d not registered it.

This does ‘stick’ and become the tool default. Not sure if that’s what @Alfred was talking about.

(So much to learn... it’s a big investment. You can totally see why the adoption of these apps by the creative industry will take some persuading.)

None of this changes my wish for quick access to my document palettes from the context bar.

CFF5CE31-505D-4EB8-9B48-AC932890146E.jpeg

1 hour ago, ProDesigner said:

This does ‘stick’ and become the tool default. Not sure if that’s what @Alfred was talking about.

No, I was only referring to the colour mode (‘Lab Sliders’, ‘Grey Sliders’, ‘Colour Wheel’, etc).

Alfred spacer.png