You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This is so maddening. I am using Affinity Design (Raster mode). I have a photo. I use the multitude of selection tools. I select a part of the photo. Then try and delete it. Instead of deleting the selected, it deletes the entire photo. I am obviously not smart enough to figure out how to do this simple step. What am I doing wrong? There is a step or setup I am missing. I have used Photoshop for 20+ years and this has me stumped.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Jayewtpiufyiub. :)

There are two kinds of picture layer in the Affinity apps: ‘Image’ and ‘Pixel’. If you go to the Layers panel you’ll see the designation in parentheses after the layer name.

When you want to work at the pixel level (e.g. copying or deleting a selected part of a photo) you need to have a pixel layer. You can convert an image layer to a pixel layer by right-clicking on it in the Layers panel and choosing the ‘Rasterize’ option.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Only for curiosity - if you use twenty years Photoshop, why you now use ADesigner? 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

I'll add it,

When you drag an image into the program window, in an open document, it will be an "image" type layer. The "image" layer allows you to quickly replace the image in the layout.
https://youtu.be/IVlhZYcPZ_E?t=225

@Pšenda, I switched because of cost. I used to be a production artist, then an art director so I used the Adobe Suite for years as it generated revenue. I have retired from that industry about 10 years ago and have been using my old copies of psd and ai for hobby purposes and the occasional design for friends (free of charge). Since there is no revenue, it's hard to justify the cost. I have been looking for an alternative and a friend recommended Affinity. So far there are things I like and some not so much. I realize it's no Adobe, so I am looking past the shortcomings. I will say that for the money I am very impressed!

34 minutes ago, Jayewtpiufyiub said:

I switched because.... 

You didn't understand me - I wasn't interested in the switched into Affinity, which of course I understand :-)

I was wondering, why you don't use APhoto (photo editor) as an adequate replacement for Photoshop. See also your mentioned problem with "raster/photo", because ADesigner is more suitable for vector drawing.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.