You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I make a circle logo with text?

Hello. You may have read my earlier question. I think that I'm going to abandon the monogram idea for now because I'm so picky. I'd like to create a logo with text above and below the horizontal axis of the circle but I don't know how to do it in Affinity Designer. Here's an image that might help to help you understand that it is that I'm going for. I can get the text above the horizontal axis but I'm having trouble getting it below the horizontal axis. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

logo-finished.jpg

• Staff

Hello JonathanBowen,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

To create text-on-a-path, select the shape you want to use as the path (a circle in this case), change to the Artistic Text tool and mouse over the circle until the cursor changes to a "T" with a small wave below. Then just click and start typing.

For more info please check those video tutorials:

- Text on a path (basics/tip)

- Text on a path

Thanks. I watched both videos. The issue is that I need to create two separate instances of text on the same path; text above the horizontal plane and text below the horizontal plane. The videos don't address that instance. Thanks.

Horizontal plane? Please explain so we can try to help. Your example does not seem that its something AD can't already do.

Thanks. I watched both videos. The issue is that I need to create two separate instances of text on the same path; text above the horizontal plane and text below the horizontal plane. The videos don't address that instance. Thanks.

Just hit Return after having created the first part of your text … then adjust both parts by using the red wedges on the circle and by changing baseline shift from the context tool bar … (I assume this is what Jonathan meant) …  :)

Text.afdesign

post-1198-0-28972000-1443944561_thumb.png

You can also select the circle and use Layer > Convert to Text Path. This will place the red arrows so that you get two semi-circles, one for text above and one for text below, without having to move the arrows by hand. Use Return to split the text as A_B_C says. You will probably want to use centred alignment, and use the control in the context toolbar to adjust the vertical position of the text below so it matches.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Danielmoji,

Do you have Affinity Photo? If so, you could use the Perspective Filter (latest Beta) or the Perspective Tool for creating the larger logo texts … on the other hand, you will need to have Affinity Designer for using the text-on-a-path feature, as it isn’t available in Affinity Photo …

Does that help?  :)

Cheers, Alex

• 2 years later...

Hi MEB or other - I just got Affinity 1.6.6 and I'm trying to do this text-on-a-path with a circle as per Vimeo example, but I get no "~" symbol when hovering on the circle (after clicking artistic text) to activate the text input, nor do I see, from the other example, any Layer\Convert To Text Path   menu....I only see Convert To Curves. What gives? Thanks.

43 minutes ago, JT101 said:

Hi MEB or other - I just got Affinity 1.6.6 and I'm trying to do this text-on-a-path with a circle as per Vimeo example, but I get no "~" symbol when hovering on the circle (after clicking artistic text) to activate the text input, nor do I see, from the other example, any Layer\Convert To Text Path   menu....I only see Convert To Curves. What gives? Thanks.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @JT101. :)

It sounds as though you're using Affinity Photo. The 'Text on a Path' feature is only available natively in Affinity Designer, but you can use the file attached to this post to work around that restriction.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

thanks much Alfred, but there's no explanation as to what to do with it. Post says:

maybe the attached file will help, just copy and paste the text.

and you have text on a path in photo

textonapath.afphoto

....a) it's not text, it's a binary (when I open it in Notepad anyway), and b) paste it WHERE?  Complete info please!!!

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, Magdaskin said:

Hi! I have this problem, but in my IPad version. Can anyone help me? How can I place the second part of the text outside de circle? I am getting mad... 

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/designer/ipad/video/273647336/

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hello Magdaskin,

If the bottom text looks like the one on your screenshot, select it and adjust the height of the baseline to push it outside the circle.