You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Linked resources rescale after update

I have a big problem with linked resources in v. 1.9.1. I am creating a map with a lot of symbols created in one AD file, and another AD file with the map, where the other symbols file is linked to. The symbols file contains an artboard for each symbol, and the symbols are used at various scales in the map document. After the update, the scale of the linked objects are rescaled each time I change the symbols document. This is very annoying of course, as I had to resort to embedding the symbols to make sure I did not have to manually rescale after every change...

This is a regression from 1.9.0 where I only ran into this problem once, after manually changing the linked resource. This makes working with linked documents very unreliable, and I can not use the advantages it offers, like easily making changes to items and have it apply in the whole document, and it bloats the file size quite a lot too.

I will have to reconsider some of my working methods with this bug, which is quite nervewrecking. I hope this issue can be resolved??

This problem seems to be finally corrected in Win version 1.9.1. in the recent update, so hopefully it comes soon also to Mac version. I did different tests and it worked in Win 10. However even I turned on option of manual update of linked files, referenced Affinity files are being updated automatically without any asking. While working in one document popup window belonging to other document shows up. Quite messy. This still needs to be done properly. At least it is not rescaling. Good luck and solid nerves. Affinity is on the good way, but still many things to be developed.

• Staff

Hi Postmadesign and MrDoodlezz,

Would be possible to grab a quick screen recording showing the behaviour you're getting with the files please and a copy of the files as well please? I'm struggling to visualize what you're actually seeing.

I've created a Dropbox link to upload to our internal account below:
https://www.dropbox.com/request/gB8DfeoUHzJJfAdJL09x

Thanks,

I can not share the file, as it is client work. I will try to describe what is happening:

I have a Designer file that has the map with roads and landscape features. To this map I have created symbols of landmarks and features. I created these in a separate document. Each symbol in this document is on its own artboard. I then place the file in the Map file, and select the artboard from the dropdown menu. I do this for all symbols (in fact, I tend to just duplicate the linked symbol and select another artboard as its faster), but as these symbols are not all used in the same size I have to manually rescale them. Not all symbols are scaled the same amount. Before the update, I could change things in the symbols document and have it reflected in the map document. After the update, the scaling is messed up, so some symbols are much smaller, whilst others are bigger. I have not really understood what makes this happen.

• Staff

Hi postmadesign.

Sorry for the delay! That's not a problem, would you mind trying your document in the 1.9.2 beta please? There was a few issues that were affecting symbols and assets transforming incorrectly when placed inside scaled containers such as artboards and groups that have been fixed, so it certainly sounds like this is what you're seeing.

Thanks,

Hi Sean,

I tried the latest Beta with my file, I made the images linked again, then updated the linked file with a small modification. It gave the same problem as before. I am not sure, but perhaps it has something to do with the way the images are placed? I placed the AFdesign file into my document and selected the artboard I needed. I then alt-dragged the placed file to make a copy and select another artboard. I then usually rescale these placed linked files to make them fit. I do not have the time to test this right now, but perhaps this could cause a problem. The thing is: the rescaling seems completely random, as some things are made much smaller and others bigger. See this short screencapture when I update the link in the new beta (which takes forever by the way, even if the file are not abnormally big, and it normally updated the links automatically with out delay...)

• Staff

Thanks for that! I've been poking it a little bit more and I think I might now see what you're seeing - the only thing is that I've had to scale the artboards in the linked document. Does that sound like something you would have done at some point? Especially if you've copied an existing artboard and then scaled it to be the size you want? I've attached a video showing the behaviour I'm getting now, along with the files I've used. 

Something elses I've noticed (at least on Windows, Mac didn't do it when I opened the file)was that if I update the linked file (for example adjusting the artboard size), and don't save the file that contains the links then when I reopen it I'll get a broken link that needs updating. I'll also get this reported and double check Mac.

When I then update the objects are too big, and then fall out of their bounding boxes causing redraw errors. I can confirm that updating that document using 1.9.0 is fine - but 1.9.1 and 1.9.2 is not. I will note that I think the Symbol scaling is a red herring as that seemed fine, but the artboard scaling is whats causing problems.

Scaling.zip

Hi Sean,

I have not rezised any of the artboards in the linked symbols document. I usually create a new symbol in the area outside of the artboards, which I then select and use the artboard tool to create an artboard from the selection. I don't believe I have changed the size of the artboards after that. But even minor changes (like changing the color of an element) within the existing artboards causes the weird resizing issues. The only thing that I duplicated and resized were the linked files in my map document, not the orginal files.

I am also having this issue on MacOS. It started on 1.9.1 and also occurs in the most recent beta. The issue occurs for me when I update a linked document if the Page Box is set to anything other than TrimBox. What happens is when the linked resource is updated, it resets the resource back to TrimBox, and that alters the scale. 

3.png.9073a14b18229ea176fef0f3b671df85.png 2.png.63ae9d56b0a30b47e228188765996d3f.png1.png.0507d847c274772312063ca7f9578dc2.png

Edited by oishii_33

@Sean P I have this rescaling problem with a inked Designer file placed in Publisher 1.9.1.979 on win10. I tested your suggestion, and I think in my case it does have to do with resizing the artboard plus the trim box as @oishii_33 said. It seems like the trim box maintains the document size that was originally set up in Designer. So after resizing the artboard, to a different ratio even, I had to switch the Page Box to minimum content so it doesn't get cut off. But after updating the linked file, it switches back to trim box and rescales it so the trim box fills either the width or the height of the modified artboard size. I don't know what it depends on which way it resizes, it was different in my test from my original problematic file.

My example: original artboard size is A5 portrait. Artboard 2 (which is placed in the Publisher document) is resized to a landscape Letter size.

Image 1: the placed file is set to 100% and Minimum Content to fit the Letter sized page.

Image 2: the placed file is updated, it switches back to a portrait A5 ratio, and resizes to 103% so the A5 height equals to the height of the Letter size = new artboard size (I know it's the same as the page size right now, but I tried with different page and artboard sizes, and it tries to match to the artboard size) - the page border is the grey line, the slection is the placed document. Right now it shows the rest of the image, but if I zoom or try to move it, it has that strange effect as if I was painting with a brush. When I change it to Minimum Content that glitch disappears.

image 1.PNG

image 2.PNG

Hi,

What would the ETA be for a fix for this? I had just acquainted myself with the new linked documents feature which I was just about to use to setup some export docs. Then I foolishly upgraded to 1.9.1 and now it's broken. I tried the 1.9.2 Beta too and broken there too. Can I downgrade to 1.9.0 until this is fixed?

To help with diagnosing the issue, I can confirm that in this instance I had rescaled the artboards in the linked doc as suggested above. They were iPhone 11 size but I shrunk them to iPhone 12 size

Simon