You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.9.1 didn't fix the 1.9 splash screen crash

Throne777

So I've had this issue since the 1.9 verison. Posted about it here and here.

Apparently the 1.9.1 update was supposed to fix it. It hasn't. Still get exactly the same crash making the programs unusable. I even uninstalled and fresh install of 1.9.1. Still get the crash.

Any help would be much appreciated. I really need these programs for work so this is pretty frustrating.

Thanks for your help!

• Staff

Hi Throne777

I take it you've tried running it up multiple times and its still crashing If so could you go to %appdata%\Affinity\Designer\ and zip up and attach a copy of the 1.0 folder please? Also what hardware are you using and are you using onboard Intel graphics or a discreet video card such as a NVIDIA or AMD card? 

Would you be able to follow the following steps to give us some more information please to investigate.

1. Download ProcDump from the following link - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/downloads/procdump 

2. Create a new folder on your desktop called ProcDump then extract the contents of the zip from the link above into this folder

3. Open Command Prompt (cmd from the Run dialog) type cd desktop\procdump  and press enter. 

4. Now paste the following string and press enter. Note this assumes you've installed to the default directory. If you have modified this then please update to reflect the install directory on your machine.

procdump64 -e 1 -ma -accepteula -x . "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Designer\cltest.exe" platform

Once that has finished could you attach a screenshot of the command prompt window along with the newly generated DMP files in the ProcDump folder on your desktop please.

PerformancePreferences.xml

I'm using a Windows Surface Laptop 3, graphics are AMD Ryzen 5 Microsoft Surface Edition.

I ran the procdump (cd command couldn't find desktop so had to put it in download folder). Screenshot attached. If it created a DMP file as you suggest I don't know where it's put it as there are no new files on the desktop, download folder, or in the procdump folder.

Screenshot 2021-02-25 142559.png

1.0.zip

10 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Thanks @Throne777, this has indicated that the test app didn't crash. Could you try running just "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Designer\cltest.exe" in a command window and pasting the results here?

When I click on that it opens command prompt which then closes before I can read anything. Has it put a file somewhere?

Sorry, misread your reply. Screenshot attached

cltest.png

• Staff
5 minutes ago, Throne777 said:

When I click on that it opens command prompt which then closes before I can read anything. Has it put a file somewhere?

You will need to open a Command Prompt window and then drag Cltest.exe into there and run it to see the results. If you could attach a screenshot of that.

Annoyingly when running a command line based exe Command Prompt will always disappear straight after its been executed.

Just now, Sean P said:

You will need to open a Command Prompt window and then drag Cltest.exe into there and run it to see the results. If you could attach a screenshot of that.

Annoyingly when running a command line based exe Command Prompt will always disappear straight after its been executed.

Yeah, my bad. Misread. See above edit 🙂

Thanks @Throne777. Well, the good news is, you're not experiencing the OpenCL crash at startup issue... The bad news is... I'm not sure what is causing the crash. I've looked at the crash reports, and they're just showing me that the crash is in Microsoft's .NET somewhere. Could you try renaming the %appdata%\Affinity\Designer\1.0 folder to something else, then running Designer again?

2 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Thanks @Throne777. Well, the good news is, you're not experiencing the OpenCL crash at startup issue... The bad news is... I'm not sure what is causing the crash. I've looked at the crash reports, and they're just showing me that the crash is in Microsoft's .NET somewhere. Could you try renaming the %appdata%\Affinity\Designer\1.0 folder to something else, then running Designer again?

Renamed it to '1.0 OLD', when I ran Designer it made me accept the EULA, then splash screen, then the same crash again 😞

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2021 at 4:21 PM, Mark Ingram said:

OK thanks, we'll work through this, and work out what's going wrong.

Just seen version 1.9.2 has been released. Has this update addressed this particular crash I've been getting (I'd prefer to avoid another round of installing only to get the same crash then reinstall version 1.8.5 again).

Thanks for your help!

57 minutes ago, Throne777 said:

Just seen version 1.9.2 has been released. Has this update addressed this particular crash I've been getting (I'd prefer to avoid another round of installing only to get the same crash then reinstall version 1.8.5 again).

Thanks for your help!

The crash fix is related to working around a mis-match in driver components that seem prevalent with older Intel graphics drivers. Your particular crash didn't seem related to that. You can install the latest beta alongside your 1.8.5 retail build to see if that works. If the beta works, it will be safe to upgrade your retail install.

On 3/30/2021 at 5:58 PM, Mark Ingram said:

The crash fix is related to working around a mis-match in driver components that seem prevalent with older Intel graphics drivers. Your particular crash didn't seem related to that. You can install the latest beta alongside your 1.8.5 retail build to see if that works. If the beta works, it will be safe to upgrade your retail install.

So, weirdly (but also, yay!), it looks like 1.9.2 has fixed the crash issue for me 😕