You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

StudioLink doesn't work (macOS)

Just now, R C-R said:

He was a frequent contributor to the Apple Support forums, every regular's "go to" authority for all things related to Time Machine.

I know. I'm a registered user (not as "loukash" though) since 2000, from day one when Apple implemented forum registration. In the early days I used to be a regular, too… :)
Recently I only occasionally visited the Logic Pro forum because I finally upgraded to Logic X last year.

Speaking of which – and sort of back on topic – with Logic and GarageBand there are similar issues with the MAS as with Affinity apps. Especially Mojave is affected as well.

48 minutes ago, R C-R said:

problems like with the file system

Can happen. Hard drives get corrupt and die, SSDs just as well, albeit "differently".

49 minutes ago, R C-R said:

some third party add-ons not fully compatible with the OS to corrupt or delete files inside app packages

Huh? Can't really think of anything off the top of my head, and I really sometimes do nasty things to my Macs that may be considered illegal in some states, haha.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

But it's not Serif that is sandboxing the MAS versions. It's the MAS or MacOS that's doing it.

Nope. Developers must sandbox an app to sell it in the MAS, but it is the developers that have to do that, not Apple. This is explained in several of the links I posted earlier, but it starts with enabling the entitlement for sandboxing.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

12 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Nope. Developers must sandbox an app to sell it in the MAS, but it is the developers that have to do that, not Apple. This is explained in several of the links I posted earlier, but it starts with enabling the entitlement for sandboxing.

Thanks. That would still mean writing additional code, and testing it, and removing it in the retail Affinity Store version before final shipment.. Or running two parallel betas on Mac, one for the MAS beta version and one for the Affinity Store beta version.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

That would still mean writing additional code, and testing it, and removing it in the retail Affinity Store version before final shipment..

I don't see the need for any extra code beyond the entitlements they already must set in the MAS versions, nor any reason to remove them from any Mac version, be it a beta or Affinity Store retail version. From what I can tell, Apple has made this very simple to do.

That's the point -- make them all the same so there is no need to run different betas or worry about bugs that appear due to differences in the entitlements or associated code of the two store versions.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 minutes ago, R C-R said:

That's the point -- make them all the same so there is no need to run different betas or worry about bugs that appear due to differences in the entitlements or associated code of the two store versions.

Given the issues and limitations that occur due to the sandboxing, why would Serif choose to degrade the processing and capabilities of the Affinity Store version?

And why would users of the Affinity Store version want their betas to operate differently (more limited) than their retail versions?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

Given the issues and limitations that occur due to the sandboxing, why would Serif choose to degrade the processing and capabilities of the Affinity Store version?

Other than issues with a few Photoshop plugins for AP there are no issues due to sandboxing I am aware of. And frankly, the goal should be to deal with that issue in some way that does not make the MAS version of AP in any way any less capable than the Affinity Store one.

I don't buy the explanation that this is something Serif can do nothing about. If it is simply due to a missing entitlement declaration then adding it should resolve the issue. 

17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

And why would users of the Affinity Store version want their betas to operate differently (more limited) than their retail versions?

Why would anybody want any of the betas to operate differently from any of the retail versions? What is the point of beta testing if the final release candidate differs in any way from the retail GM version?

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Other than issues with a few Photoshop plugins for AP there are no issues due to sandboxing I am aware of. And frankly, the goal should be to deal with that issue in some way that does not make the MAS version of AP in any way any less capable than the Affinity Store one.

I agree.

The only other issue that comes to mind is permission failures with lots of fonts installed.

-- Walt
PC:

The only other issue that comes to mind is permission failures with lots of fonts installed.

I'm not really sure about that one but it seems unlikely that it has anything directly to do with sandboxing.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff
On 3/6/2021 at 3:06 AM, R C-R said:

I'm not really sure about that one but it seems unlikely that it has anything directly to do with sandboxing.

As I understand it, when an app is sandboxed in macOS, one of the restrictions placed on it limits the total number of files that the app can access at once. When users have thousands of fonts installed and try to run the MAS sandboxed version of the app, the app fails to open as the OS refuses to serve up all the requested font files.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

8 hours ago, Dan C said:

As I understand it, when an app is sandboxed in macOS, one of the restrictions placed on it limits the total number of files that the app can access at once.

I think the macOS places a restriction on the total number of files any process can open, whether or not an app is sandboxed. But maybe that number is different for sandboxed apps?

Affinity Photo