You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I make a three letter monogram in a circle?

Hello. I just bought Affinity Designer today. To say that I'm inexperienced at this type of stuff would be an understatement but I'm a relatively quick learner. I've watched a ton of videos last night and today. I'd like to create a three letter monogram in a circle. I hired a designer to make a logo but I'm unhappy with his work. And you know what? I want to learn something new. I've attached his latest design and I like it, mostly, but I feel like the lettering is lazy. I'd like to manipulate the letters so that they fill the circle but I don't want to distort the font so that it's unrecognizable. Can you give me some tips? Thanks!

post-19118-0-68847100-1443892934_thumb.jpg

Hi Jonathan, welcome to the forums

Yes it does look lazy; I've got no idea what HER does. This looks like a cheap cufflink, for Henry E.Roberts...whoever this fictitious character is.

There are loads of top 12/10/5/3 design questions, that you should have been asked. These are...

• Who are you?
  • What do you do?
  • Who are your rivals?
  • Where do you operate?
  • Who is your customer?
  • How old is your customer?
  • What is your USP?
  • Are you offering a niche product?
  • Is this an exclusive brand?
  • What is more important to you, letters or shapes (Think Nike swoosh/McDonalds 'M')
  • What is your favourite logo?
  • What is your favourite font?
  • What is your favourite colour?

This list is not exhaustive, just the obvious questions that need asking 

If this does not sound like the conversation, that you and your designer had; then he/she has truly missed the boat.

HTH

peter

PS

Try Pinterest, there's loads of inspiration just waiting for you!

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

I'd love to know why that logo looks 'lazy'?

The designer must have been given a brief.

It might have been a short brief, but, I don't know any designer who starts to design a logo, without knowing something about the work to be created?

Sorry, I'm not helping with you asking how to go about fitting letters inside a circle, but, you also mention that the designer didn't do a good job.

And I'd like to know why you think that?

After visiting Vector magic's site and using their free online demo; I converted your pic into a fully fledged editable vector document (text was converted to curves in the process). I added a  thicker white outline to each letter and the internal white circle.  Stroke tips and angles have been adjusted too.

There are two documents below: a png file and an Affinity file (APh/AD/APu can open it!). The AD file has been saved with history, so you can see how I did it.

What do you think? It's not perfect, but it does have a certain VW look to it. ;)

peter

fattter stroke.afdesign

post-705-0-77109500-1443908171_thumb.png

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

I agree with Peter, that the original 'HER' might be a bit on the thin side.

But, as to whether the lettering should join up with the white border, will very much be a matter of opinion.

For me, the lettering should still be separate from the white border.

But, it's what the customer prefers.

post-809-0-55236200-1443912391_thumb.png

I agree with Peter, that the original 'HER' might be a bit on the thin side.

But, as to whether the lettering should join up with the white border, will very much be a matter of opinion.

For me, the lettering should still be separate from the white border.

But, it's what the customer prefers.

I prefer your version.

I appreciate your work on that Peter. I've mostly given up on the monogram idea. The "R" is frying my brain.

It's a shame you're giving up, Jonathan.

The 'R' is not as difficut as you think.

I have very limited experience with Affinity Designer.

But, I do have experience with other software.

So, by using my other knowledge, I was able to use Affinity to do your logo, as well as the 'R'.

Members of most forums will not really do the work for you.

But, I'm hoping that my file will help you see that it just requires a bit of thought and you'll be flying.

Ask as many questions about how to do things, and there are many members who will help you.

her2.afdesign

Nice job with the logo Rik! :D I'd be flattered to get something like that answered so quickly. 

As for this forum...there is so much help and it's fast. Just checkout the custom brushes by Paolo and cartoonmike's Pumpkin Tutorial. B)