You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Update from 1.8.5 to 1.9.1 - exits after splash screen

cpoh

Hello everyone,

i just updates my Designer from the trustworthy 1.85 to the 1.9.1 offered to me today via "Update available".
I skipped 1.9.0 due to the forum entries here.
But: All i get is the short splash screen and then nothing. The program just exits and no more. Reboot, beta install, etc. nothing helps.

I'm on the latest win10 pro 64 bit - if that helps.

Any help is very much appreciated.

• Staff

Hi cpoh,

Thanks for that - looking at the crash reports it appears to be crashing in your Intel Graphics Drivers. Could you first check for driver updates and ensure they're all up to date? We've seen this before and often this does seem to stop the crashing users have been getting.

If you've done that and its still crashing could you try placing the attached PerformancePreferences file inside %appdata%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\Settings and then running Designer up again. All this does is set OpenCL to be disabled, just to try and narrow it down.

Also are you able to navigate to this location in the registry and post a screenshot of your contents please?
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors

PerformancePreferences.xml

Hi Sean, thanks for this.

I looked into the driver and windows told me "newest installed".
I then copied the preferences you kindly provided - no change.
BUT: i then went to the Intel-page and let it do an online scan for the drivers on my machine and voila - new drivers! ;-)

So now everything works (at least it starts... 😉 even with enabled OpenCL) and i can carry on.
Maybe it's a helpful information, that you can not count on Windows 10 telling you, that your drivers are up to date or old (it told me everything is up to date), you have to go to intel and check for yourself.

So, thanks again for your quick support!
Cheers

• Staff
3 minutes ago, cpoh said:

Hi Sean, thanks for this.

I looked into the driver and windows told me "newest installed".
I then copied the preferences you kindly provided - no change.
BUT: i then went to the Intel-page and let it do an online scan for the drivers on my machine and voila - new drivers! ;-)

So now everything works (at least it starts... 😉 even with enabled OpenCL) and i can carry on.
Maybe it's a helpful information, that you can not count on Windows 10 telling you, that your drivers are up to date or old (it told me everything is up to date), you have to go to intel and check for yourself.

So, thanks again for your quick support!
Cheers

That's great news to hear! Glad you're up to speed now. Just had another user with the same (we think) issue. I've spoken to development and we're going to try a few things to get some more information to pass along to Intel.