You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo Crop doesn't completely set data

I process a jpeg in Photo and crop it to square, then save as an afphoto file.

I open this 'square' afphoto file.
On selection , a rectangular boundary shows  the original boundary with the square image within it.

On selecting the crop tool the specified image and crop dimensions are both square as I wanted.

If I feed this image into a Forge plugin, it sees the original dimensions and messes up processing of distortions and tiling.

Win10 PC 64bit

img1.jpg

img2.jpg

Win 11 PCs 64bit  Envy and Envy tablet + Filter Forge  Retired computer systems tester doing graphics for charities and politics etc.

• Staff

Hi @gw_westdale,
Sorry for the delay getting back to you. We have been a bit busy with all the feedback/reports we are getting from latest 1.9 and 1.9.1 releases.
Right-click the layer in the Layers panel and select Rasterise & Trim to get rid of the hidden/cropped data. You can then process it as usual in the Filter Forge plugin.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for response - that is useful.

Independently of the use of FilterForge, I think what you are saying is that Crop does not fully crop the file -  and the file saved after cropping would still contain the full image.
So, in order to save filespace if one uses large background bitmaps, Crop is not enough and one should Rasterise and trim each of any large bitmap layers as well?
That appears to be the case from a quick trial I did.
I would suggest that it would be better for Crop to do a trim as well in some future version.

Win 11 PCs 64bit  Envy and Envy tablet + Filter Forge  Retired computer systems tester doing graphics for charities and politics etc.

36 minutes ago, gw_westdale said:

I would suggest that it would be better for Crop to do a trim as well in some future version.

Personally I prefer cropping to be non-destructive, so that's it's possible to change the crop later if you wish. It really isn't that much effort to rasterize and trim. (You can set up a keyboard shortcut if you want to.) Maybe it could be an option, but I really would not like all cropping to be destructive.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Fair point. Having read your post I played more with cropping.    I didn't realise negative cropping was a thing!