You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer for iPad - 1.9.1

Patrick Connor

• Staff

We are pleased to announce an update for the iPad release of Affinity Designer, version 1.9.1
(note this 1.9.1 build calls itself 1.9.7 in the about box, but is nevertheless 1.9.1 for bug reporting purposes)

Changes in this build

The changes in Affinity Designer for iPad 1.9.1 (over the last release  Affinity Designer for iPad 1.9.0) are as follows:

Fixes & Improvements:

• Fix for copying and pasting symbols between documents causing a crash.
  • Fixed printing crash when the document has multiple artboards.
  • Fix for occasional crash creating Text Styles.
  • Fixed the inability to save some files originally opened as read only.
  • Fix for some old documents with Constraints failing to load properly if they contained Compound objects.
  • Fix for some brush packs causing the current brush to become 'stuck' so others could not be chosen.
  • Fixed alignment issues with pixel tool.
  • Fixed mirroring objects to transform individually based on tool settings.
  • Fixed scaled text frame increasing text size when grouped.
  • Fixed crash loading large TGA files.
  • Fixed PDF passthrough failing to work on multi-page documents.
  • Improved performance of snapping by restricting inner bound snapping to objects with no more than two curves (ie, single holes).
  • Fixed loading of 16bit LAB TIFF.
  • My Account & Registration system improvements and fixes.
    This feature is explained in more detail here Sync your Affinity Store resources with your Affinity 1.9 apps
  • New Samples.
  • Assorted other small fixes.
  • Improved performance with large documents
  • Help & localisation improvements

Changes and fixes in 1.9 made since 1.8 (including the new 1.9 features) are listed in some detail in this 1.9.0 Designer iPadOS update announcement 

UPDATING TO THIS VERSION (free for existing customers)

The software version can be seen on the corner of preferences screen.

Your Affinity iPad apps should update automatically next time you run them. However, you do need to be logged in with the same Apple ID you used to buy them.

If the automatic update does not happen for you, go to the iPad Store app and go to Updates. Once you’re there, tap near the top of the screen where it states 'Updates' and then hold, pull down and then release. This should manually refresh the updates page. However, don’t panic if the updates are not available for you yet—Apple sometimes phase roll outs around the world and this can take up to 24 hours.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Neither the iPad AD nor AP app updated automatically for me, nor did an update for either one show up in the iPad store "Updates" section, even after a manual refresh.

What did work was to go to my Purchases section of the iPad Store, in the list of purchases to tap on each app's icon (not the Open button!) to open the app's description page, where there was an "Update" button I could click on.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

If the automatic update does not happen for you, go to the iPad Store app and go to Updates. Once you’re there, tap near the top of the screen where it states 'Updates' and then hold, pull down and then release.

I don’t see ‘Updates’ at the top of the screen in the iPad Store. I’ve always obtained my updates via the buttons in my purchase history.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 minutes ago, pruus said:

@R C-R, here exactly the same. 

It is very odd. I have never had any problem updating Affinity apps I purchased either from the Mac (for desktop) or the iOS (for iPad) stores prior to the 1.9.x versions.

Now, all 4 of them require some sort of trick/workaround to get the updates. For me, the 'usual' ones like logging out & back into the stores does not work, but I think updating from the Purchases section will do it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I think updating from the Purchases section will do it

think I posted about this just before you did! ;)

The update for Photo wasn’t available when I tried it earlier, but it seems to be installing now.

Alfred spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I don’t see ‘Updates’ at the top of the screen in the iPad Store. I’ve always obtained my updates via the buttons in my purchase history.

For me, most updates do appear in the Updates section --  AFAIK, only the AD & AP ones did not. But what is weird is I (think I) have the store app set to automatically download updates, but it does not do that. I always have to update everything manually.

Affinity Photo 

4 minutes ago, R C-R said:

For me, most updates do appear in the Updates section

How do you navigate to that section? As I indicated in my previous post, I don’t see a link to it anywhere.

Alfred spacer.png

Just now, Alfred said:

How do you navigate to that section? As I indicated in my previous post, I don’t see a link to it anywhere.

I have to tap on the small round 'me' icon at the top right of the Store app. That brings up an "Account" window with a larger version of my account icon, a Purchased item below that, & various others, including a list of available updates (if there are any), an "Updated Recently" section, & others related to adding funds, redeeming gift cards, etc.

I think this change happened for iPadOS when Apple added the Arcade feature, because that item replaced the account/update/whatever it was on the list of items at the bottom of the store window.

BTW, it took me forever to fgure out I had to tap on the icon to get to my account stuff!

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

I have to tap on the small round 'me' icon at the top right of the Store app. That brings up an "Account" window with a larger version of my account icon, a Purchased item below that, & various others, including a list of available updates (if there are any), an "Updated Recently" section, & others related to adding funds, redeeming gift cards, etc.

Oh, OK, so you get to it via your purchase history, just as I do. I thought I might have been overlooking a more direct route.

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Oh, OK, so you get to it via your purchase history, just as I do.

Not exactly. Normally, available updates show up automatically in their own section of the "Account" window, just above a section named "Updated Recently." This is separate from the Purchases item, which has to be opened to show all my purchases in a list. Usually, there are individual update buttons in the updates section, one for each available update, & above them an "Update All" button.

But neither Affinity apps showed in that section, which is why I needed to open the  Purchases section to update them.

Affinity Photo