You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher for Windows - 1.9.1

Patrick Connor

• Staff

We are pleased to announce an update for the Windows release of Affinity Publisher, version 1.9.1

The detailed changes in Affinity Publisher for Windows 1.9.1 over the release build Affinity Publisher for Windows 1.9.0 are as follows:

Fixes & Improvements:

General

• Fixed Crashes and errors when using the My Account option
  • Affinity registration showing in English for some supported locales
  • Fixed crash on open for a number of reported 1.8 / beta documents
  • Fixed intermittent crash on applying Master Page
  • (Mac) Fixed issue causing some UI icons to be rendered at incorrect sizes
  • (Mac) Fixed New Document dialog scheming on older macOS
  • (Mac) Fixed 'Monochromatic Iconography'
  • (Mac) Fixed toolbar height in separated mode
  • (Windows) Fixed inability to disable hardware acceleration, or a crash at startup if the hardware acceleration option hadn't been written to the settings file
  • (Windows) Fixed crash on shutdown while "My Account" content is still downloading
  • (Windows) Fixes to mitigate issues with hardware acceleration on some systems

Document Loading

• Fixed possible crash when opening files with iCloud based image resources
  • Fix for documents failing to load due to infinite loop with Constraints and certain document structures
  • Fixed potential hang while composing text in text frames with non-default Vertical Alignment
  • Fixed the inability to save some files originally opened as read only.

Text

• Text in scaled text frame could increase in size when grouped
  • Paragraph > Justification > Minimum, Desired and Maximum word spacing controls inoperative
  • Added Glyph Picker for Initial Words characters
  • Interactive > Go To Hyperlink can crash if no target
  • Fix for wrap settings on pinned objects not always updating correctly
  • Fixed scaling instability with inline text objects under certain circumstances
  • Objects inserted into Master Page text were not updating correctly on regular pages
  • Truncate long Find and Replace MRU menu entries to prevent UI overflow
  • Spelling applied through Paragraph style only takes effect after re-applying the style
  • Pressing delete whilst unlinking frames causes a crash
  • Fixed possible crash when inserting a TOC
  • (Windows) Fixed performance problems when Paragraph Panel was visible

Import / Export / Resources

• Fixed blocking that could occur when placing especially large raster heavy PDF files
  • Updating a PDF via Resource Manager resets Interpret / Passthrough state
  • IDML Import - Fixed unlocking of layers coming from IDML Import
  • IDML Import - Fix for Text Styles not applied correctly with specific file
  • IDML Import - Fix for rotated items in Picture Frames
  • IDML Import - For failure to import some text items in Table cells
  • IDML Import - Fix for crash on import of specific file(s)
  • PDF Import - Improvements to how PDF Import handles text lists. Ambiguity between Roman numeral "c" and Latin letter "c" is handled better.
  • PDF Import - Fix for clipping paths being incorrectly identified as redundant and discarded in some circumstances
  • PDF Export - PDF set for Passthrough crops incorrectly
  • PDF Export - Fixed crash exporting file with Bookmarks
  • EPS Import - Fixed failure to detect colour space when the EPS only had shades
  • Fixed TGA import to allow loading of large files
  • Placed landscape afpub files could be treated as portrait under certain circumstances
  • Unable to create custom export presets - options disabled
  • Fix for performance problems when placing an asset which contains images
  • Updating images via Resource Manager was resetting scale
  • Resource Manager now sorts by page number
  • (Mac) Save As Package fails on macOS 10.10 (Yosemite) or earlier
  • (Mac) Fixed Resource Manager on older macOS

Tools and Rendering

• Transform Objects Separately was ignored for some operations
  • Align buttons were modifying master page content when used in "Edit Detached" mode
  • Fix for parts of some master page objects / paragraph decorations not showing in bleed on regular pages
  • Recent colours are now updated when changing a Table cell Fill or Stroke
  • Items contained on a master page's bleed area disappeared when zoomed in

Changes, improvements and fixes in 1.9 made since 1.8 (including the new 1.9 features) are listed in some detail in this 1.9.0 Publisher Windows update announcement 

The 1.9 new features are explained by our team in this video and in more detail in links from this post

UPDATING TO THIS VERSION (Free for existing customers)

The software version can be seen on the splash screen and the About dialog (in Help > About Affinity Publisher).

If you’ve purchased from the Affinity Store— each time you start the Affinity Store software it will check for updates and offer any available update. The latest update will install over the top of any earlier version, with no need to uninstall. You can download the latest installer by logging into the affinity store here and find the order in your account and use the "Download" button in there. Alternatively, this new release (and previous versions of Affinity Publisher for Windows) can be downloaded from this link (that installer is NOT for Windows Store purchases and needs a product key).

If you’ve purchased from the Microsoft Store— Microsoft Store updates are done automatically by the operating system (each time you start the application). If this does not happen for you, open the Windows Store app and click the three dots in the top right corner of the app and then go to Downloads and Updates. Click Get Updates. This should hopefully force the update to show.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I had been experiencing pretty much *all of those bugs* and it was quite discouraging : APu had slowed to a crawl, alignment and snapping issues, inline & pinned media moving about strangely, text not obeying wrap settings, and so on.

Thanks a lot for the fixes ! just in time for a deadline this afternoon.

Hadrien

hmmmm wait it crashes on saving now. Will report.

10 minutes ago, StainX said:

So, the fix for the "replace image in picture frame" without messing up its position/scale will come next update, i hope?

In fact I cannot understand, why this was not fixed in the latest release. There are lot of discussions going on here, what functionality has to in-the-box-and-working-without-a-flaw. A Resource Manager with bugs is not acceptable in a layout application. I am hoping there is noone with lots of modified images or trying to package a project.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Thanks for this quick update!

In my experience at least, other, software can easily go several months or even more between updates and fixes, so I personally consider Affinity quite efficient in this regard.

In fact, looking at its progress so far, I personally believe (and hope) that there's a good chance Affinity might eventually become the future industry standard across several creative fields.

I think it's sometimes easy to forget, that some of the competition has been around for a very long time, so considering how much this suite of software has developed in a comparably short timespan, just makes it the more impressive IMO.

So thanks to the team for another great update and keep up the good work!

Ive owned Affinity Pub, Des, Photo for a number of years so I recently loaded the new updates. Firstly n the presets for Pub I note that its pretty much all apple gear and no windows, only 1  samsung and absolutely no OPPO stuff. The latter I understand but Samsung and win 10 have a huge market share so why arent they truly represented in your software surely this is a massive oversight. I used your software when I first purchased it way back but found it to be really lacking in features for my preferences so I went elsewhere to get these.

I though a new update might just have remedied this but it seems not. I would like to make use of my purchase which appeared to be a great way forward years ago in many areas but just the small issue above which can easily be rectified shows me that its not living up to the promise which is disappointing.

I hope you dont see this as a criticism but as a challenge to better serve your customers who are both windows users and also apple user not just the latter..

Many thanks

Ken

Welcome to the Affinity forums @XKCee!

You meant Assets not Presets here? I guess Serif had all the assets, because it was part of the Apple SDK. Serif is not developing for Android, so no Samsung assets. And of course not Oppo (ironically writing this with a Reno 10x Zoom) and I do not miss it, but this is only personal taste. Otherwise Serif has to add assets for Xiaomi etc as well.

What features are lacking? Feel invited to write about it in the appropriate sub forums.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed