You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo for Windows - 1.9.1

Patrick Connor

• Staff

We are pleased to announce an update for the Windows release of Affinity Photo, version 1.9.1

The changes in Affinity Photo for Windows 1.9.1 (made since the last release Affinity Photo for Windows 1.9.0) are as follows:

Fixes & Improvements:

• Fixed Crashes and errors when using the My Account option
  • Fixed crash at start-up due to broken OpenCL drivers ( potential startup crashes are detected, and hardware acceleration is prevented.)
  • Disabled hardware acceleration for AMD Radeon RX 5000 series and later cards (awaiting response to bug filed with AMD)
  • Fixed asset dragging performance for some assets
  • Fixed some documents failing to load (hanging)
  • Fixed JPEG and TIFF filter descriptions (was "Affinity Files")
  • Fixed performance problems when Paragraph Panel was visible
  • Fixed the inability to save some files originally opened as read only
  • Updated image metadata parsing
  • Updated lens data (see here)
  • Fixed hardware acceleration performance and quality for:
    • Patch Tool,
    • Shadows & Highlights,
    • Healing Brush,
    • Channel Mixer,
    • Focus Merge,
    • Remove Lens Vignette (Develop Persona),
    • Shear Filter,
    • Posterise
    • Liquify Turbulence Tool,
    • Haze Removal Filter,
    • Panorama
  • Improved content syncing
  • Fixed scaled text frame increasing text size when grouped
  • Added .fts extension support
  • Improved Astrophotography to detect bad pixels before inspecting light frames 
  • Improved Astrophotography to use the bad pixel map, if any, when loading images for alignment.
  • Fixed Affinity registration showing in English for some supported locales
  • Fixed EMFs not rendering on non-RGBA documents
  • Fixed mirroring objects to transform individually based on tool settings
  • Improved performance of snapping by restricting inner bound snapping to objects with no more than two curves (i.e. single holes)
  • Fixed PDF passthrough failing to work on multi-page documents
  • Fixed Panorama Erase from Source Mask tool artefacts
  • Fixed TGA import to allow loading of larger files
  • Fixed crash when loading some CR3 files.
  • Fixed Studio Preset shortcuts not being restored after a subsequent launch
  • Fixed potential crash on the pattern layer context toolbar sampler control
  • Fixed potential crash when a updating the layer editability
  • Fixed potential crash showing Product Key dialog
  • Fixed "Copy As SVG" preventing Affinity data being added to the clipboard
  • Fixed New from Clipboard of raster data from external applications, as it was always preferring EMF/WMF over raster data (ignoring the 'Prefer metafile over raster ...' general setting)
  • Fixed artefacts when rotating live filters as children of pixel layers
  • Fixed Astrophotography results file labels being white in light UI mode
  • Fixed cancelling Astrophotography Stacking to ask for confirmation before closing the document
  • Renamed Linked Layers "Filter effect parameters" to "Layer effect parameters"
  • Fixed being unable to apply styles with a single click in list mode
  • Fixed crash on shutdown while My Account content is still downloading
  • Improved PDF Import of text lists and numbers lists
  • Fixed PDF Import incorrectly identifying clips as redundant and removing them
  • Fixed copying of objects not copying their tag colour
  • Fixed Export Preview scaling issues
  • Various stability improvements
  • Help and Localisation improvements

Changes and fixes in 1.9 made since 1.8 (including the new 1.9 features) are listed in some detail in this 1.9.0 Photo Windows update announcement 

The 1.9 new features are explained by our team in this video

UPDATING TO THIS VERSION (Free for existing customers)

The software version can be seen on the splash screen and the About dialog (in Help > About Affinity Photo).

If you’ve purchased from the Affinity Store— each time you start the Affinity Store software it will check for updates and offer any available update. The latest update will install over the top of any earlier version, with no need to uninstall. You can download the latest installer by logging into the affinity store here and find the order in your account and use the "Download" button in there. Alternatively, this new release (and previous versions of Affinity Photo for Windows) can be downloaded from this link. (that installer is NOT for Windows Store purchases and needs a product key).

If you’ve purchased from the Microsoft Store— Microsoft Store updates are done automatically by the operating system (each time you start the application). If this does not happen for you, open the Windows Store app and click the three dots in the top right corner of the app and then go to Downloads and Updates. Click Get Updates. This should hopefully force the update to show.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thanks for the swift updates!...thought I would comment here for a changes!...:)...All updated OK!....with the exception of Photo that required a CNTR Reset...as all the panels were blank yet tagged visible in menu...all good now though!:)

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

Could someone inform me what sort of issues people were seeing on Navi series AMD cards that caused HW accel to have to be disabled for the moment? I filed an issue with them regarding Designer a while back regarding layers retaining their "recently deselected" pink outline rather than them fading out, but curious what other issues exist on the series with the Affinity Suite at the moment.

Edited by tielqt
clarifying software bug was filed for

• Staff

@tielqt

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

19 minutes ago, tielqt said:

Could someone inform me what sort of issues people were seeing on Navi series AMD cards that caused HW accel to have to be disabled for the moment?

The NAVI chips were taking 10 times longer to run every command than they should (so slower not faster). This is the most relevant thread, and you could discuss your own findings in that thread.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

As a new user of Affinity Photo I was delighted to get the update so quickly. Moving from 1.9 to 1.9.1 was easy and everything appears to have been carried across. With 1.9 and focus stacking I was getting a 'blue screen of death' if hardware acceleration was selected (AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G with integrated Radeon Graphics). That problem has gone, I am please to report.

My expectations have been exceeded. That doesn't happen very often with software!

• Staff
31 minutes ago, Ston23 said:

Hallo das funktioniert aber nicht auf die testversion oder?

Yes, ".fts" support was added to the 1.9.1 beta recently, but this release 1.9.1 is the current latest test version

Ja, die Beta-Version 1.9.1 wurde kürzlich um die Unterstützung für ".fts" erweitert, aber diese Version 1.9.1 ist die aktuellste Testversion

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Well done folks. Please remember to sleep now and again.

Just a data point: I recently got a DJI Mini 2 which produces RAW files, which edit just fine. The only thing it doesn't do is recognize the lens used. Not a problem, though it made me wonder if drone makers are feeding into the photo industry standard lens tables.

Edit: I see they do. At least DJI at listed in camera tables, though the Mini 2 is not listed.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

• Staff
1 hour ago, Ston23 said:

Ok danke für die schnelle Antwort. Leider funkt es bei mir immer noch nicht. Nur die 1.8.5 testversion läuft. Beta nicht und auch die 1.9.1 nicht

Ich denke, Sie müssen mit Ihrem vorhandenen Thread fortfahren oder einen neuen Thread starten, da wir in diesem Ankündigungsbeitrag keine Fehler oder Probleme diskutieren können

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

dear users, 

Regarding V.1.9.1:   does anyone test Astro stack LRGB module yet ? 

I tried today without success, I can upload fits files, after that nothing happen.  I can not preview or adjust a single fit file, or stack the files.

I follow the demo video. Is there any plugin or other thing I have to activate ?

(Win 10, Lenovo Legion 1TB/16Gb/Nvidia 2060 8Gb)

Edited by PEJU
verdion 1.9.1

• Staff

@PEJU

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

from above

On 2/25/2021 at 9:20 AM, Patrick Connor said:

Please do not post bugs or problems that you find when using this version of the software in this thread

Please post this again in the questions forum

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd