You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

scale changing when copy / pasting from designer to publisher, BUG?

Hi Everyone

I really am having a lot of coordination problems between Designer and Publisher... maybe I have got conceptually the wrong end of the stick but I cannot find any good tuturials on how they interact with one another.

In this specific problom I have designed an object in Designer... it is a simple rectangluar sign 100mm x 100mm 

I just want to copy this into a page in Publisher,, so naturally I copy it in Designer , Paste in the Publisher on a page...

To my shock reverything gets resized,, in this case smaller [24 x24mm ] 

what in hell is going on????

in both cases the document / file units are set as mm  and in both files the page size is A3

is is a basic bug...

Yes, I could build the design in Publisher using the Designer persona... [In fact, that is the workflow I am persueing , but I have a lot of artwork already in Designer..

Interestingly, when i copy/paste  form Publisher to Designer the size is respected, no change happens????

Actually, I expected the Studiolink between Publisher and Designer to be the same as between Publisher and photo,, it definately does not!

Frankly, I expected to be able to insert a designer file into publisher [as a link] and have it editable and dynamically updated regardless of which app I worked in...

At the moment I cannot even reliably COPY / PASTE between them

PS,  I don't have a problem with scaling that I can control ,, eg it would be good if I can take a full size design in Designer and insert/link it as a smaller scale object in publisher... but I need to have explicit control of that scaling

This is how most CAD drafting packages operate!

All affinity software are the latest reelases , W10 latest patch

I cannot replicate this behaviour.
Create 100×100mm rectangle in Designer, copy, paste into Publisher and I get a 100×100mm rectangle as expected, see attached video.
Can you supply a sample document which exhibits the behaviour you mention?

5 hours ago, gary danang said:

This is how most CAD drafting packages operate!

Note: Neither Designer nor Publisher are CAD applications.

100/24mm = 4.1666666666666666666666666666667

300/72dpi =  4.1666666666666666666666666666667

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thanks Carl.  

I am familar with CAD software and surprised that Affinity overides physical dimensions with screen density settings .... Is this typical in DTP software... 

why does DPI even come into play when I specifically set my units to mm?

PS, any explanation why when going form Publisher to Designer there is no scale change between the two files?

actuaklly, I just checked DPI setting in both files, they are the same,   96dpi

Futhermore.. when I change the DPI in my affinity file , BUT still keep my units as mm , my document is scaled down in mm..

this is surely a bug........

This does not happen in Publisher - see images below 

And GarryP  -

CAD or not CAD is irrelevent... we are dealing in physical dimensions .. Pwerpoint is not "CAD" software ..and  does not exhibit these anomolies .

neith does CorelDraw or Inkscape !

PS. just installed the Designer 1.9.1 patch - Did not fix this problem

designer 420mm 96dpi.png

designer 420mm 300dpi.png

publisher 420mm 96dpi.png

publisher 420mm 300dpi.png

OK,  might have discovered the scaling problem... though I cannot find and documentation on what the Designer to Publisher workflow is..

[hinting at a tutorial here]

I was opening Designer and Publisher separately and copy / pasting between them - that is when I got the scaling problem

I just watched a Video on Typography Fundementalss by Emily Goater and during that tutorial she opened the designer file from within Publisher.

It opens in a separate tag and I was able copy / paste with no scaling problem.