You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP 1.9 Create Subcategory in Assets Panel No Longer Works

I updated to Affinity Photo 1.9 for Windows and now I can't create subcategories in the Assets Panel in Affinity Photo. I can create an Assets Category, which has one subcategory in it on creation. However, when I click on the "Create Subcategory", nothing happens. It doesn't create a subcategory and it doesn't crash or give an error. It just does nothing. It's the same in
Affinity Designer. The "Create Subcategory" doesn't work. I don't know about Publisher.

In previous editions, I was able to create multiple subcategories in an Assets category.

Is anyone else having this issue of not being able to create subcategories anymore?

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/25/2021 at 5:40 AM, Chris B said:

Could you go to this location for me:

C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo

You should see a folder called 1.0 - please right-click this > Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder and attach that here.

Hi. Sorry, it's been a busy month for me and I never made it back to the forums to check on this thread. I think I figured out what the issue is, but I'm not sure. I zipped up the file you wanted, but noticed it was too big to attach to the forum like you wanted. I had installed a lot of assets and those assets are stored in that directory, I'm guessing. So I had to delete most of my assets to make the file smaller. After I deleted some of the assets, I decided to try creating subcategories before sending zipping up the file again. I was able to create subcategories after deleting most of my assets. I think I must have run into a size issue, maybe? Is there a limit to how many assets you can have? Or maybe how many subcategories you can create?

I wasn't exactly sure how the assets panel works and where the files are stored. I had originally thought Affinity Photo only kept a link to the original files, but after some research, it looks like Affinity Photo stores all the assets in the asset panel in that folder which makes for some really big files if you have enough assets.

I guess the moral of the story is to only keep the assets you're currently working with inside Affinity Photo. That kind of sucks because some of those assets I use on a regular basis, and it's going to be a pain if I can't keep them in the assets panel. It looks like I'll have to rotate assets in and out of the assets panel instead of keeping them in there.