You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Zoom in and out create strange effects

srg

• Staff

Thanks. To me, it looks as though the live blurs you have on the top level are constantly being rendered at the different zoom levels on a 47MP document and it's struggling. The general performance even on my M1 machine is not great with all these adjustments on such a huge document.

I'm not trying to say that there isn't something that could be potentially improved upon but zooming in and out, o a 47MP document at that resolution with a bunch of live adjustments and filters is going to push the app. For projects like this it might just be worth hiding some of the bigger filters/adjustments. 

When I tried it on my older iMac I did get some horrific, yellow artifacts. I will pass the file over though,

Than you Chris B for the reply. I use a Pentax 645z that has a 51 MP resolution. In today world 100MP cameras are getting common so huge files will be more and more common. AP should adapt I think.

In any case, do you think that Merging visible and working on that would improve the situation?

19 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Thanks. To me, it looks as though the live blurs you have on the top level are constantly being rendered at the different zoom levels on a 47MP document and it's struggling. The general performance even on my M1 machine is not great with all these adjustments on such a huge document.

I'm not trying to say that there isn't something that could be potentially improved upon but zooming in and out, o a 47MP document at that resolution with a bunch of live adjustments and filters is going to push the app. For projects like this it might just be worth hiding some of the bigger filters/adjustments. 

When I tried it on my older iMac I did get some horrific, yellow artifacts. I will pass the file over though,

• Staff

Hey srg,

Yes I realise cameras using higher MP is getting more common - that's generally fine for Affinity apps. However what I'm saying is that having a large number of live filters/adjustments is what kills the app. People often do not expect this as they come from say, Photoshop which does not use live filters/adjustments in the same way we do (constantly being rendered by zooms etc).

I would definitely merge a group of adjustments or filters once you are happy. Just an FYI for anyone else reading this - make sure that you merge at 100% view because live filters can slightly change once they become baked into a pixel layer so a view of 100% will always give you an accurate preview.

4 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey srg,

Yes I realise cameras using higher MP is getting more common - that's generally fine for Affinity apps. However what I'm saying is that having a large number of live filters/adjustments is what kills the app. People often do not expect this as they come from say, Photoshop which does not use live filters/adjustments in the same way we do (constantly being rendered by zooms etc).

I would definitely merge a group of adjustments or filters once you are happy. Just an FYI for anyone else reading this - make sure that you merge at 100% view because live filters can slightly change once they become baked into a pixel layer so a view of 100% will always give you an accurate preview.

sorry but what do you mean by 100% view?

4 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey srg,

Thank you I got it, 100% under the "view" headline.