You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo Only Works When 'Open in Low Resolution'

With Mac Big Sur 11.2.1 on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) and Affinity Photo 1.9.0, it started acting bizarre after the 1.9 update. For example, when using a mask on a photo, no matter whether I use pure black or pure white for the brush to edit the mask, it always reveals the underlying photo and using the black brush does nothing. I've also noticed that he computer cannot keep up with painting the mask and lags behind my brush movement.

I could make this bizarre behavior go away when I got Info on the application in Applications folder and chose "Open in Low Resolution".

Is this expected behavior, what else should I check for this behavior?

And actually, when I did set "Open in Low Resolution" to "solve" the problem, another problem came up. That "old" issue was that when using the color picker eye drop it does not show the color in the cursor but only in the sample circle. This is the exact issue I reported earlier. But when I unchecked "Open.." both issues resolved!

I am sorry to hear of your issues with Affinity Photo - it is truly an excellent piece of software and continues to improve, without a subscription model.

I have put off installing Big Sur after the many issues experienced on my MacBook Pro 15 inch post the Catalina update.  I have updated to 1.9, but not yet installed Big Sur - you do not mention of you have installed the OS update.

There seems to be some issues with the 2017 models and the way Affinity Photo works, the last time (after installing OS14 Catalina) I had to go back to Photoshop for some months due to the extreme loss of functionality, and the fact that Serif would only address these issues in major updates.  See my previous posts.

I have still not updated, and your post (and others who experienced issues) has made me think this was a wise decision, however, I feel that being unable to update to the latest OS versions also has it's drawbacks.  I am fully cognisant of the fact that this is a huge undertaking for Serif, and that they may not be able to test all aspects of the app on every model, but frustrating for those of us who fall between the cracks.

I have the same experience with AP with regard to the Mask, but had not found it to be a big issue, and thought this might be a "feature" rather than a bug, but not a very helpful one.

I hope the issue is solved soon.