You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

There is a well-established bug with the Glyph browser and "math" fonts.  When trying to display a math font, the glyphs are unreadably small, even with the largest setting available through the hamburger menu.  However, I don't believe Gabriola is a "math" font.  If it is triggering this bug, that's worth noting for Serif so they can track down exactly which OpenType feature(s) is responsible.

40 minutes ago, sfriedberg said:

...  However, I don't believe Gabriola is a "math" font.  If it is triggering this bug, that's worth noting for Serif so they can track down exactly which OpenType feature(s) is responsible.

The so-called bug has to do with a font's internal metrics. Math fonts, or fonts designed as Gabriola, metrics are so large that the glyph browser simply doesn't scale large enough. 

• 5 months later...

I've just installed a newly purchased collection of OTFs and can't find any workaround for this - has anyone got any ideas

Tested in Beta 1.10.0.1115

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

2 hours ago, Dazmondo77 said:

can't find any workaround for this - has anyone got any ideas

What I do is use the Font Book application to find the glyphs and then copy and paste plus the correct sizing. Font Book is a little bit better for those fonts that display like that in the Affinity applications.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Cheer's Old Bruce - this is the first time that I've fully noticed this problem, and as it's effecting a selection of fonts I'm choosing for a project, I thought it would be something I could fix from within Pub - but you're method works great - Thanks

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, WML said:

It would be very helpful if Affinity developers could provide a slider for the glyph browser because the max size selection is still way to small to see many of the glyphs.

Are you a Mac or Windows user? I ask because for on my Mac the size of the glyphs in the Glyph browser is quite large, about twice the size of the characters in UI panel names & such. For example, this is the top section of the  Glyph browser set to display Georgia bold:

1693210666_Glyphbrowser.jpg.1ec6e8eff43022fa75d66230fd03e6bf.jpg

It is the same for regular or any of the other options, at least as far as the amount of space for each glyph.

EDIT: I should have read through the whole thread before posting. What I get above is for the "Medium Size"option. It is about the same for every font I checked but I don't think I have any of the fonts with "exceptional metrics" to test with.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Windows 10. Your example of Georgia font is the same as mine. I use Samantha fonts a lot and they look horrible. I asked the font author if she heard of any issues with the fonts and she said it was Affinity related. I can see the fonts clearly in Character Map UWP and other font managers but not Affinity. Attaching a screen snip of what I see with glyph size set to maximum.

Screenshot 2021-12-01 142825.jpg

16 hours ago, WML said:

It would be very helpful if Affinity developers could provide a slider for the glyph browser because the max size selection is still way to small to see many of the glyphs.

Better would be to give you an option to just display what is in the character em square plus some fixed extra amount.
This is what you see in the Character Map and other apps.
For example, the display in FontLab and FontCreator are this em square plus size.
So the normal characters are a normal size, and the characters which are "outside the box" are cut-off.
And this is where a roll-over zoomed display of the full glyph would be appropriate.

It appears they are attempting to fit all of these huge outside-the-box glyphs into the same display space and so they are scaling all the characters down to fit - which makes the normal characters too small.
And it appears to be affected by our display zoom setting.
I have a higher resolution laptop with a 3840x2400 display x 17 in.
So I have my display zoom set to 300%.
Here is Samantha Craft in the glyph browser with those settings:

Glyph-Browser-Samantha-Craft.thumb.png.4ef8e2256fbf009615fc50d3b77771ed.png

Which appears much easier to see.
But I am not sure that is how it should work.

Gabriola is still pretty bad.
@R C-R Gabriola comes with MS Office for Mac, so you may find it there you want to test.

So I do not think a slider is the best solution, but a simple selector and a roll-over zoom.

6 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

Gabriola is still pretty bad.
@R C-R Gabriola comes with MS Office for Mac, so you may find it there you want to test.

Thanks for the suggestion but I do not own a copy of MS Office.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 5 months later...

Glyph browser even with "Largest Size" shows font symbols very small. Please add size selector. 

For now it's hardly usable for fonts like Leland. 

In my case I use Mac Os Font Book which more comfortable because you can select larger sizes.

Also it will be better if font size setting will be moved to glyph browser window, for now font size located in hamburger menu which more relates to tabs but not to glyph browser (or maybe I do not understand this design code, but at first I have the same question as the author of topic).

image.thumb.png.b9fb1e1119b5cd308030d60e876c26c7.png