You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Artifacts (squares) showing up in RAW files

I just started shooting RAW (CR3) with a new camera (Canon 90D) and noticed some artifacts when developing from the Develop persona. The images are large (32 MP), so occasionally it takes half a second for the changes to propagate to the image. For example, I will modify the shadows/highlights and for half a second the image will scan (or pixelate) as the changes are applied. Sometimes when I do this I notice large, slightly discolored squares as if the effect wasn't completely applied. For an image of this size, the squares are probably around 500px to 1000px on each side. I can fix it by modifying the slider again, but when I actually press "Develop", the squares usually return. On one image I was able to remove it, but on another it had 3-4 of these discolored squares so I had to reopen it to make the changes in the Develop persona again. My graphics card is always up-to-date and I'm also using the latest version of Affinity Photo.

• Staff

Hi @ChrisTheDev, @alan_hodges,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
What OS version are you both running? What's the specs of your machines (graphics cards)?

@ChrisTheDev,
Can you also attach a sample file please? Thank you (just in case the issue is different/we need to test ourselves).

For me the problem has been fixed by today's version 1.91 and I'm grateful for that. However, the update keeps throwing me out, notably when moving from the Develop to the Photo persona, though there are other occasions which I have not yet noted. If I load a RAW image and immediately hit the Develop persona button, it does it then. Another time, I was still in the Develop persona and using <Details> <Noise Reduction> <Luminance details>. It's annoying, especially if I've lost a lot of work . I know I can save frequently and I'll have to get into that habit or else go back to v.1.8.

As @alan_hodges said, the issue appears to be fixed under 1.91. I've only tested a couple of images, but I'm not receiving any of the discolorations. However, I did see that the update appears to have changed my rendering card from the 1050 to the integrated card, which I changed back. This may be the cause of @alan_hodges's crash issue.