You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I really Need a tutorial on using Global Colours on the iPad

So it seems like Global Colours are a late addition to the iPad. It's even an option in Affinity Photo now. But what is sadly lacking as usual is any clear idea of how to use it.

The in-app help file is pretty basic. In fact it's a cut down version of the Desktop help.

So this is a 'Roll My Own" - Basically.

Create a Document palette . Or use an existing Palette that may already exist for your particular document that you have created as you go along with the original design, or that you have created colour by colour. So if you ahve an existing palette, you can only use it to note the numbers of the colours you want to use. So effectively you will have a Standard Palette, and a Global palette.

But you can't create a 'palette from the Document' as in the desktop version. And you can't import one from the Desktop version anyway even if you did do it there.

So let's say you don't have a document palette already.

Step 1.

Create a new document palette. Call it "Global Colours" just for arguments sake.

Step 2.

From the Sandwich in Studio Preferences, 

Add Global colour. 

Up pops the Colour Wheel or slider what ever your choice is, and from that you can now create a totally new colour. You can't use an existing colour, just create a new one - even if it's the same as an existing colour you have to set the colour parameters. H:42 S:90 L:50 for example.

That's it. Hmmm you think. Why would I do this? 

Because, you need to Remember To Do This When You Are Starting Your Document. iPad Designer or Photo. Every new colour you are going to use, create it as a Global Colour first if you think there is a remote chance that you will need to modify your colours later. And that could be the case. Perhaps you have a Brochure that is the Same, but different colours in Summer - Autumn - Winter - Spring. Or even a children's story book where the characters can change colours?

When you come to do your Winter Brochure, you open the document, select the Autumn (mustard) Global Colours and change them to Winter (ice) colours and the colours will change in  the document where ever you previously had mustard colours.

which is 

Step 3

Edit a global colour.

Select Swatches and your Global Colours palette.

Long press on the chosen colour and select Edit.

Choose a new colour

All related objects will change accordingly.

It does seem a bit longwinded but imagine trying to change all the spots on a Leopard from brown to black.  Or all the green leaves on a tree to autumn leaves...

If anyone else has any great ideas related to this option on the iPad, I'm all ears.

Robert

iPad Mini 6.  256GB.

Publisher. Designer. Photo for Mac, PC & iOS 

@Affinity-Inspiration

5 hours ago, HarryMcGovern said:

Because, you need to Remember To Do This When You Are Starting Your Document.

Incorrect. I never create a palette of colours when starting a new document - so you don’t need to rememberFor 90% of my illustrations or info graphics, I use a global colours palette, and I create it from the illustration as I go along.

This is because I’m not for trying to guess how a set of colours will ‘play’ together, and I’m not always able to say upfront what will have the same colour and what won’t. Far too creative is my excuse and I’m sticking with it.

I create global colours on the fly, and It is possible to create a global colour from an existing colour in an illustration ad-hoc.

It’s a bit clunky at the moment in Designer iPad (I’ve not checked Photo iPad or the Desktop apps) - create your global colour with a random colour. Then (long press) Edit, and using the eye dropper, select the colour in your illustration. This replaces the random initial colour with the existing one you’ve already made. Yes, you then need to remember to make sure the object has the global colour assigned.

I’ve fed the way this needs to work back to Serif, along with other stuff about Global colours, and they’re picking them up. See the topic on this below for ref

Entirely up to you how you work of course - no right or wrong here. Just thought it might help you - maybe give you some power to your elbow.

My comment is for Designer btw

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

Thanks, interesting information. I’m sure Serif is looking into it. I’ll look at it again myself of course because it’s a great idea. 
My comment about starting with a palette actually would work for some. But of course isn’t the answer for everyone.

thanks fir the input.

robert 

iPad Mini 6.  256GB.

Publisher. Designer. Photo for Mac, PC & iOS 

@Affinity-Inspiration