You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Detach symbol – but only top level?

Currently, as far as I've been able to ascertain, it works like this:

• Let's say I create a symbol. Call the symbol ChildSymbol.
  • Then I create another symbol, let's call it ParentSymbol, which included ChildSymbol as well as some other objects. All is well and good – making changes to ChildSymbol updates all instances of ChildSymbol, including those inside instances of ParentSymbol.
  • If I select an instance of ChildSymbol and press "Detach", the object is detached and is now its own object, able to be edited without affecting instances of ChildSymbol.
  • If I select an instance of ParentSymbol and press "Detach", that object as well as the instance of ChildSymbol it contains are now detached. The Detach action seems to propagate into all sub-symbol-instances.

If there's no way to prevent this currently, I'd very much like one. In other words, I'd like to be able to Detach the instance of ParentSymbol without necessarily also Detaching the instance of ChildSymbol it contains.

Symbols are a wonderful way to quickly make large changes, and being able to work freely with different levels and hierachies of symbol-instances would be very nice.

• 1 year later...