You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Corrupted file on Mac (Affinity Designer)

Hi there,

I was working for many hours on a document. Saved it a couple of times and it went well.

At one point and for no specific reasons, tried to save and it didn't work. Saved the file to a different name and it prompted a message that I don't remember, but it was a general message. I only used a few PNGs and text.

Anyway, Affinity Designer crashed at one point. Tried to reopen one of the 2 files and it failed, see the attached screenshot (both having zero bytes)

It seems that all my work is gone and that's devastating.

Computer: Macbook Pro (see attached)

Affinity: Most recent (1.9)

File: Saved on my Documents folder (locally and backed on the cloud)

Please help.

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 6.03.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 6.21.14 PM.png

Well you choosed strange file names (...with commas inside) which some apps for sure don't like, it's possible that this is the reason for the saving trouble. Or if you saved to a cloud drive that way. - In case one of your previously saved files hasn't zero bytes at all, but such a comma related file name then, copy (or rename) that file over to a more common by apps accessable & processable filename (like for example: "myfile.afdesign" etc.) and try opening that one then.

Also make general regular backup copies of your files, then with filenames containing more normal characters, not a buch of spaces or punctuation/comma chars etc. inside. For longer file names, if needed, then better use such a style here "Faces_Health_workout_and_notifications.afdesign".

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi! 

I have discovered a zero byte .afdesign file on my computer. I tried opening it, but obviously since Affinity Design has failed to save it properly and now I have corrupted file of 0 bytes. I save dthe file on the 18th of January 2022,  ofcourse, not realising that the svaing process didn't work properly.

I hope this issue with Affinity Designer is fixed soon. I noticed from the forum, that this has been a constant issue for years. 

Best regards, 

Clarisse 
@sunnypresent.com

3 hours ago, Clarisse said:

I have discovered a zero byte .afdesign file on my computer. ...

A zero byte file has no contents (thus shown as a 0 byte size file), so trying to open such a file either way is useless at all.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2