You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pixel Tool Bug - Nothing Drawn Until Mouse Moved

mrqwak

I'm on a M1 Mac Mini, latest version of MacOS (11.2.1), latest version of Affinity Photo (1.9.0), no special hardware or software running, just using a normal mouse.

With the Pixel Tool selected, if I press the mouse button to start drawing on the canvas; nothing happens until I start moving the mouse. I would expect the canvas to be drawn on immediately, without waiting for mouse movement. It's been suggested that this doesn't happen on the Windows version, so it's possibly a bug, rather than behaviour that the development team intended.

I've described the bug (and included video etc) in the following thread:

• Staff

Hey mrqwak,

As far as I can tell, the behaviour is idential between macOS and Windows. I'm using an M1 MacBook Pro.

I think what you're suggesting is more of an improvement than a bug as you want to see ink on the canvas as soon as you touch down. I think the reason it stays hidden, is purely for accuracy reason but I will check with the developers.

Thank you Chris.

If you speak with developers, please let them know there is a serious usability concern with this. Not having the canvas update immediately when pressing the mouse button, feels very wrong. From a usability perspective, I'd seriously question the wisdom of the design decision to make it work the way it does.

For pixel art, for me, this would be a deal breaker; which is a shame, because otherwise it's a very nice application.

• 5 months later...
On 3/5/2021 at 10:15 AM, Chris B said:

Hey mrqwak,

I have logged this as an improvement and emphasised that this is to improve usability. Two developers I spoke with agreed the behaviour you requested would be better :) 

Hi Chris, has there been any movement on this? It's been a while..

• 4 weeks later...