You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't Download Updates

I own Publisher, Designer and Photo. I bought the first directly and the latter two via the Mac Store. Unfortunately, the App Store on my Mac is acting up and won't let me perform ANY updates. It just times out even though all else is fine. No amount of searching in the Apple forums has solved the issue.

As such I need to download the latter two so I can upgrade to the latest version. Can someone please reach out to me so that I can update Photo and Designer. I noticed that for some odd reason there are no update or search for update links within the application itself.

Thanks.

Mark

50 minutes ago, marks said:

Can someone please reach out to me so that I can update Photo and Designer. I noticed that for some odd reason there are no update or search for update links within the application itself.

There are no search for update links in the Affinity application because all of that is handled via the Mac App Store.

You could try a few things that have been mentioned by others as helping. Try an action, then see if the update works. If not, try the next:

• Logging out of the Mac Store (not your Mac account, but the store) and logging in again.
  • Refreshing the Store (Cmd+R, perhaps?)
  • Doing a Search in the Store for Affinity, and following the links you get from the Search.
  • Dragging the working 1.8.6 application to the Trash, then trying to do the update from the Store via the Purchased tab.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I have tried every one of those measure but for the last. I won't do that because the AppStore is not allowing any downloads and I can't risk being without the app. It's a common problem in the App Store and Apple has little to nothing to say about it except offering similar suggestions that offer no relief.

2 minutes ago, marks said:

I won't do that because the AppStore is not allowing any downloads and I can't risk being without the app.

I can understand not wanting to risk it. Technically, as long as you don't clear the Trash you should be able to simply drag it out of the Trash and back into the Applications folder. Or you should be able to restore from a TimeMachine backup if you have that setup.

But it's a big leap of faith...

Alternatively, the programs are on sale for 50% off right now, so it's a good time to give up on the MAS and repurchase directly from Serif :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I'm having the exact same problem with Affinity Designer and have spent hours reading through old forum posts and restarting and deleting various things trying to get it to work. Before I understood there was a difference between the Apple App Store download and direct from Affinity download, I downloaded the update straight from Affinity so now it's asking for a Product Key which I don't have because I bought it through the App Store!

It's incredibly frustrating that an app that I've been happily using since 2016 is no longer working because of a problem with a party between me and Affinity. Back then I don't think it was even an option to buy direct from Affinity? At this rate it will be easier to repurchase directly from Serif but I have already paid for it once! And if I repurchase it will all my presets be wiped?

With the next non-free version I won't buy the Affinity apps at the App Store anymore.

Now I'm in an especially annoying situation with Publisher from Affinity Store and Photo and Designer via App Store as Studio Link needs all apps at the same version to work.

Advertising designer - Austria —  Photo - Publisher - Designer — CS6 d&wP — Mac Pro 5,1 (4,1 2009) 48GB 2x X5690 - RX580 - 970EVO - OS X 10.14.6 - NEC2690wuxi2 - CD20"—  iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 128 GB - Pencil

15 minutes ago, Johannes said:

Now I'm in an especially annoying situation with Publisher from Affinity Store and Photo and Designer via App Store as Studio Link needs all apps at the same version to work.

Serif has a Publisher update to 1.9.1 ready and waiting for you!
If Publisher doesn’t auto check for it on launch, in the Menu bar go to; Affinity Publisher > Check for updates…
Also in Publisher’s preferences > Software Update, have a look and see if it has been set to Never by mistake.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

So it seemed like the best bet for me was to purchase Affinity Designer direct instead of trying to get App Store working.

This is clearly an Apple App Store problem as it is affecting more than just Affinity Apps for me. I accept that this is not really Affinity's problem and given I have been able to use the app without issue for years, including when it did update fine(!) is a testament to how much I appreciate and use the software. I have also discovered that the half price that Designer is at present is pretty much the price I paid for it in 2016 - so I can't really complain too much!

Luckily I don't have many other apps that I require app store for - so I have parked that problem for the future. Right now, I have Affinity Designer back and working - for which I am grateful.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the exact opposite problem. My Designer and Photo are from the App Store and updated perfectly. My Publisher is direct and it gives me an error every time I try to update saying that it failed. I finally downloaded the entire thing again from the Affinity website. Hopefully that works. So weird.

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video