You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher/Lock Background Image in PDF

Hi, I'm new with Affitity Publisher, so sorry in advance for my question.

I wish to include scanned documents in a CV and make the text copyable.
I have scanned a Document with Acrobat DC and ran the OCR function.
When I add the PDF at the back of my publisher project and export it, I can only select the Background image, not the text. 
How do I lock the Background so it cant be selected in the exported PDF?

For simplicity, the layers have the form
- Text (invisible)
- Image (with text visible)

Best Regards in advance!

Hi Mephphi73!

You can selcect it by clicking on the layer of the text. And you can lock a selected layer with the lock-icon on the upper right side of the layer panel.

Edit: But I'm not sure if this is what you wanted to know. Seems that you want to hide text in a document, right? I don't think that this will work.

Welcome to the Affinity forums @Mephphi73!

I have to disagree on @iconoclast here, as you want to select the text in the PDF viewer. When you export a document with an invisible layer the invisible layer will be not exported. Next logic idea would be to make the text frame visible again and make the text transparent. This also does not work. What is working: Change the opacity for the fill color of the text to 0%. So you see the image and you are able to mark the text in the PDF.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Hmm, seems to be that I was talking rubbish here. Sorry for that. Could you upload a sample document (not the PDF) here?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Hm, if the background is the text as an image, and you want to have the text copyable, why don't you delete the background-text-image and make the active text layer visible, so that it can be copied in the PDF? I don't understand the point of this whole thing. I think, it will not work to copy text from a PDF if you make the text-layer invisible, because in this case the text will not be in the PDF. But maybe I'm wrong.

Is this a kind of 007-project?

17 hours ago, Mephphi73 said:

The idea is tho have the image as background and the text be copyable in the PDF.

The text needs a fill colour, NOT being transparent. To make the (selected) text invisible move the opacity slider to 0% in the Colour panel.

------

On 2/24/2021 at 8:52 AM, Joachim_L said:

The text needs a fill colour, NOT being transparent. To make the (selected) text invisible move the opacity slider to 0% in the Colour panel.

I have tried that but once the PDF is exported, I can once again only select the image not the text.

6 minutes ago, Mephphi73 said:

Well it works in Acrobat DC and InDesign but once I open the pdf with Publisher and export again it's broken.

Could have to do with that the PDF-file-format is an invention of Adobe and they possibly still have some copyrights on some features of it.

On 2/23/2021 at 7:07 PM, iconoclast said:

Hm, if the background is the text as an image, and you want to have the text copyable, why don't you delete the background-text-image and make the active text layer visible, so that it can be copied in the PDF? I don't understand the point of this whole thing. I think, it will not work to copy text from a PDF if you make the text-layer invisible, because in this case the text will not be in the PDF. But maybe I'm wrong.

Is this a kind of 007-project?

Because I want to make an existing scanned document (including sigantures etc.) copyable not typeset it again.