You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

post-19071-0-29334700-1443813040_thumb.pngHello,

I bought AFFINITY today and, after staying one hour online with APPLE CARE, we could not understand how to link AFFINITY to PHOTOS. When opening PHOTOS, the only extension shown is BEFUNKY which I downloaded as a trial (free APP) and I did not have to do anything as the extension appeared automatically when opening PHOTOS for the first time.

I failed to create the extension on 2 computers, meaning there is something I missed as Both computers are under OS X EI CAPTAIN...

I have tried other ways to create the link with PHOTOS but failed.

Would be great to get some help as I am eager to use AFFINITY with PHOTO.

Thanks 

• Staff

Hello yapafoto,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The Apple Photo's extension is only available if you install the Affinity Photo Consumer Beta. This feature is not yet available in the Mac App Store version (only after the next update). Remember to keep the Mac App Store version installed since it is needed to be able to run the Beta in case you decide to install it.

Thanks MEB for your concern. I have downloaded the beta version but :

1. Apple does not allow me to open it saying it is dangerous for my computer and offering, as the only option, to throw it in the dust pin...

2. when I go to system preferences, extensions and photos, I still face the same issue. Affinity is not there I have no option to link it. 

Can you please continue to guide me. 

thanks

• Staff

1) That's probably due to some security and privacy system settings. Which OS are you running?

Go to the applications folder, right-click on the Beta and select Open. Press open again if a new dialog appears asking for confirmation.

Let me know if you were able to run it.

2) The second issue is because you haven't finished the Beta installation yet.

it works now. I could open it and the extension is there also.Thank you. But (sorry) when I open Affinity through Photo, it goes directly to this "add/substract" mode  (see attached) and I do not how to get to the main page with all the other mode options ?

post-19071-0-45993800-1443958285_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi yapafoto,

The Photo's extension is more limited (feature wise) than the main Affinity Photo application. There's no Personas in the extension. All the tools available are exposed in the main extension interface. When you enter the extension the Selection tool is selected by default.

Hi MEB,

I notice that you are based in Lisboa, like me !

Thanks for your comments but the conclusion is that APPLE is promoting PHOTOS with a very important new tool (Affinity) which basically does not work on PHOTOS. You mentioned this would be solved with the next update. Any idea when it will happen ?

Otherwise, what is the point for me using Affinity while Aperture is still there ? The main issue to forget about Aperture is to organize the migration of photo base and I have more than 10 000. So i was expecting Affinity to allow me going around this big issue. Now, I see that Affinity is not operating as shown on advertising and  guess that I would need to organize the migration of my library if I intend to use Affinity with its full capicity.

I look forward to receive your comments.

Thanks  

• Staff

Hi yapaphoto,

Affinity Photo's extension does work with Apple's Photos, but since extensions are a recent addition to Apple Photos, not all external applications have them finished yet and just provide a beta. As soon as the extension is ready it will be included with the Mac App Store version. There's no timeframe defined for the next Mac App Store update yet.

Affinity Photo is a dedicated RAW converter/developer and a photo editing app. It's not intended to work as a DAM (Digital Asset Management software) like Aperture or Lightroom. So it doesn't manage libraries. It's purpose is to work/edit the images, not organising / cataloging them.

Some users already requested that we develop a DAM software and/or integrate it with Affinity Photo but it never was publicised as such.

• Staff

Hi yapafoto,

Currently there's no way to do it automatically because Apple Photos doesn't have an "Edit in external editor" functionality like Aperture.

Hi Erwe,

Currently no, unless you export the RAW file from Photos manually and import it in Affinity Photo.

To do it, go to menu File ▸ Export ▸ Export Unmodified Original within Apple Photos app then drag to or import the file in Affinity Photo.

well, when it comes to selecting affinity photo or affinity photo Beta or any other file, the "click" is prohibited, all the icones are shaded. Anyway, I bought Affinity to have an easy extension of Photos and replace Aperture but it does not serve its purpose. It is far too complicated. Need to export each Photo and then import it back. At this stage computer skills are far more important than photo skills. it is a bit frustrating. First, i bought Affinity for the extension, then I realized that extension can only be used with the Beta version and finally i learn that the Beta version is only available with a very limited purpose (maybe 1% of what affinity offers, what's the point really ?) if to be used as Photos extension. 

• 1 year later...

Thanks MEB for your concern. I have downloaded the beta version but :

1. Apple does not allow me to open it saying it is dangerous for my computer and offering, as the only option, to throw it in the dust pin...

2. when I go to system preferences, extensions and photos, I still face the same issue. Affinity is not there I have no option to link it. 

Can you please continue to guide me. 

thanks

i have apple    and i didn't get that message

• 2 years later...
5 hours ago, Stephen Lefty said:

The last mention of the Mac Affinity Photos extension was back in October of 2015. Besides the Beta, is there any update on the extension being and integral part of the Affinity Photo App?

The Photos extensions have been part of the Mac Affinity Photo app for years. To enable them, you just need to turn them on in System Preferences, as explained in this Apple support article.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7