You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HI There. Hope everyone is well. I have some questions I hope someone can help me with about my book cover design. Now that I have it all done, in order to make it PDF ready with fonts embedded for another printer to print, how do I do this and make sure it is right? Do I compress the layers first? Do I rasterized it? 

I also have another question, please. I just updated to 1.9. I now see an eye looking at me when I am in my text boxes. I can click it and cross it out, but it is still there. Can someone please tell me what this eye means? Thank you so much for answering my questions. Please take care. Angelika

• 1 month later...

Hi there. So I guess I asked the same question once before but I forgot. Toddler senior moment. Sorry. But I am still having problems with this book cover and getting it to print out consistently and with the correct black density. I've tried redoing the entire cover from scratch, but the title still dose not print out black/black, it has a muted black and is compromised in the darkness. This is frustrating for me. I have made two book covers, one for paperback and one for hardback. Both are almost exactly the same. The hardback prints out perfectly. I've tried copying from the hardback to the paperback to see if that works. I've tried everything I know how to do and nothing is working.

In addition, when I place the exact same photo of myself on the PDF template, just as I have done before, it does not show up the same. I am trying to figure this out, but I cannot. Like I said, I've tried redoing everything, I've tried copying and pasting. I am at a loss at to why one cover is perfect, the the other one is NOT right. Please, if someone can help me, I would really appreciate this very much. I really want to get this book out there. 

And please tell me if anyone knows, why is there  an eyeball staring at me when I work in the text boxes? Thank you so much.

7 minutes ago, Angelika said:

And please tell me if anyone knows, why is there  an eyeball staring at me when I work in the text boxes? Thank you so much.

You probably have blank spaces or paragraph returns or line returns which push the "end of story" out of the text frame. Turn on the Text > Show Special Characters in the menus. You'll see a weird looking S at the end of the text flow, if it is out of the frame you get the eyeball, if it is in the frame you don't get the eyeball.

1552765671_ScreenShot2021-03-23at7_47_44AM.png.08520e5640934f7d507c00c3797f37dd.png

175532420_ScreenShot2021-03-23at7_48_14AM.png.347f50e602001af4b8c3c515aa89cf17.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

21 hours ago, Angelika said:

the title still dose not print out black/black, it has a muted black and is compromised in the darkness

Probably text is 100K and background is rich black (C89M78Y62K97 or about, depending profile.). That is how it usually is preferred (not black on black, but 100K on coloured background). You CAN make your text rich black if you want to (like C90M80Y20K100, you just cannot push all to max as paper would get too wet) but text may not be as crisp as 100K as it will probably be slightly misregistered and have partly halftoned edges. Register problems would not probably matter here.

It is also possible that there are problems with colour profiles but it is not possible to say without seeing the file.

This is from experience with inconsistent PDF using text effects and "text on path" with designer:

Export the finished page as a graphic (jpg, png, etc.) then import that graphic into your document. Otherwise, text on path will cause more headaches than you can handle because each time the PDF loads on a different device, it will present a different appearance to the user.