You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Astrophotography Stacking Requests

I have been using Deep Sky Stacker (DSS) and would like to see the following features in DSS added to Affinity Photo's Astrophotography Stacking Persona.  

1    Allow the user to save and reload Astrophotography stacking settings, groups, and, files created in the Stacking Persona.  This would allow adding new images from night to night and removing Groups and files that were found later to have problems.  At present the user has to start over or have I missed something.  This is a text file in DSS.  Maybe allow the user to load and existing DSS file list. 
2    Retain Stacking and RAW Options from session to session or allow user to set default values.
3    Calculate and display the total image counts for each file type in each group.  Deep Sky Stacker displays this information and I have used it to find errors I have made in adding files.
4    Display the total exposure time for the Light frames for each group and the total exposure for all the groups. 
5    Allow the user to save a file showing the files processed for each group.  I have used this feature in DSS (Create HTML description file) to find all sorts of errors I have made in stacking.

I have been through all the tutorials I have found and have been working with 1.9.0.932 since it came out, restacking a lot of my old files.  So if the functionality I have ask for above exist, please let me know.  I plan to keep using Affinity Photo to stack my photos.

thanks 

bob

• 3 weeks later...

I second, third and fourth point 1 above.

I just used Affinity for stacking and it was very painful to load up all the files - then not be able to save the file set for future reprocessing. This is absolutely something every astrophotographer does, frequently. The lack of a load-up mechanism for multiple files is a serious omission.

Also, the method of loading files is very cumbersome. Affinity Photo doesn't 'remember' where darks, flats, lights etc are stored, so I have to browse to each type every time. There's also no way to assign one set of calibration frames to multiple groups, so for example I can't use the same flats across different groups, I have to load them up every time. APP has the best interface for this, just load everything up and then tell it what matches to what using checkboxes. Maybe try a trial of APP and see what I mean!

I get the feeling the stacking option is fairly new, and look forward to it becoming more sophisticated so it can contend with the likes of DSS, APP, Siril and so on. 

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I echo the above, I would love to see one other feature:

an ETA in the progress bar.

If that is too hard to do, then how about statistical summary information at the end. I'd love to see how many frames per hour were processed.

I have a laptop with low resources, so understanding at the jump how long I'll be waiting would assist my OCD! Plus I'm performance tuning, and understanding the differences one run to the next is important, the more I can eyeball things the better.

Thank you.

David

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I too would like the stacking files feature to include saving a file list. A additionally feature I would like to have included is if the first file group contains bias and dark frames and your other filters need the same bias and dark frames if left blank on other filers it assumes the bias and dark frames are used from the first file group.  This is a great product for astrophotography, please keep developing it.